Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: live usb ubuntu 10.04 won't boot on hp touchsmart tm2

Beans

live usb ubuntu 10.04 won't boot on hp touchsmart tm2

Hi,

I booted ubuntu 10.04 off a live usb on an HP touchsmart tm2. It takes me to first screen to select normal boot. I select normal boot. However, next thing I see is a cursor in the top left corner and grey screen. Two seconds later, the screen goes blank and thats it. nothing changes. Just a blank/off dark screen.

What is the problem? Why can't ubuntu boot on my hp touchsmart tm2? I installed ubuntu on virtualbox on my win 7 and it works fine.

Also, no other live usb linux - fedora, or mint - get past the first select boot option screen. What is the problem?

thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: live usb ubuntu 10.04 won't boot on hp touchsmart tm2

Are you sure that it isn't booting? I recently tried a live usb (10.10) for my tm2, and it boots, but for some reason doesn't start the lcd backlight. With a powerful flashlight, I can see some of the stuff on the screen, and click on things with the pen (I must admit I was surprised this worked out of the box) to open menus and suchlike, but I haven't yet figured out how to fire up the backlight so I can work sans torch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by electricj View Post
    Are you sure that it isn't booting? I recently tried a live usb (10.10) for my tm2, and it boots, but for some reason doesn't start the lcd backlight. With a powerful flashlight, I can see some of the stuff on the screen, and click on things with the pen (I must admit I was surprised this worked out of the box) to open menus and suchlike, but I haven't yet figured out how to fire up the backlight so I can work sans torch.
    Try booting with an external monitor attached. When I did I was able to get the lcd back.

Beans
    Distro

I know how to fix this, I had the same problem. Believe it or not, you actually have to close the lid and reopen it (sometimes you have to do it twice) and it the screen will appear. Hope that helps you, I had the same problem in 10.04 and 10.10 and this fix worked for me with the HP Touchsmart Tm2 2050us.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Michael S Corigliano View Post
    I know how to fix this, I had the same problem. Believe it or not, you actually have to close the lid and reopen it (sometimes you have to do it twice) and it the screen will appear. Hope that helps you, I had the same problem in 10.04 and 10.10 and this fix worked for me with the HP Touchsmart Tm2 2050us.

Well, I feel sort of dumb for not trying that. Worked for me, definitely easier than using a flashlight, or connecting to an external monitor every time. Thanks!

Beans

THAT WORKED!

Thank you. Can't believe the solution was stupid like that.

Beans

Now,

Is there any solution for THIS solution? I am getting tired of opening and closing my computer screen everytime ubuntu starts. It's laughably stupid.

Beans
    Distro

What I did to fix that issue was disable the ATI graphics (don't worry, the HP Touchsmart Tm2 has a hybrid graphics card, we're just going to disable the ATI part, the Intel part will still work with no issues). Here is how to do that:

1) Open a terminal
    2) Type in "sudo nano /etc/rc.local"
    3) Add "echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch" to the bottom
    4) Press CTRL-X, hit Y, then hit enter
    5) Then reboot (you can do this with the "sudo reboot" command via terminal)

This should work, if not then let me know and I will try and find another work-around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I also have a touchsmart tm2, and the opening/closing the lid fix works for me, but...

I have tried the vgaswitcharoo switch and it doesn't seem to remedy the problem.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

well, it has been a long time, but I've got it sorted out on my laptop now.

I found this bug
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/697514
    which says that there is a problem with some bios stuff and the backlight gets set to zero when the OS is not windows.

I have moved my laptop over to Gentoo, but since this is a bios problem, it should work for any distro I would imagine.

Follow the directions here

http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/ac...ridingDSDT.php

to make the changes in the bug report (I just changed the place where it says Zero to say 0x06 and it worked fine). You're on your own for compiling your custom kernel tho. It might just be easier to wait for ye olde bugfix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast