Thread: Accidentally partitioned a LUKS encrypted drive

Beans

Accidentally partitioned a LUKS encrypted drive

I was a major idiot as I was installing a new hard drive and accidentally partitioned /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sdc, which was already partitioned and encrypted with LUKS.

I'd created a new partition on (apparently spanning the entire drive somehow?) and written the new partition tables before I caught my mistake. Imagine the massive facepalm.

Funny thing is that, when I go into the Disk Utility, it still shows as encrypted and I can luksOpen the drive just fine, even accepting my password - but when I try to mount it, it tells me that I must specify the filesystem type. Forcing a mount of a ext3 filesystem gives me this:

Code:
    # mount -t ext3 /dev/mapper/drive1 /media/drive1
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/drive1,
           missing codepage or helper program, or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
    How the hell do I revert this or how will I save my data, if at all possible?

Funny thing is that Disk Utility seem to show me 2 2 TB partitions on 1 2 TB hard drive. As seen here.
    Last edited by trillex; December 8th, 2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Image

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Accidentally partitioned a LUKS encrypted drive

Quote Originally Posted by trillex View Post
    how will I save my data, if at all possible?
    I hope you have a good backup somewhere that you can restore. Otherwise, it is going to be a very long effort. photorec might be able to help a little, but it is not a trivial effort in my experience.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I hope you have a good backup somewhere that you can restore. Otherwise, it is going to be a very long effort. photorec might be able to help a little, but it is not a trivial effort in my experience.
    I can't even "find" the filesystem so I'm thinking of just calling it a sour learning experience and wipe the drive completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When using encryption, it is critical to have excellent backups. Absolutely critical.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Give TestDisk a try. I once reformatted my Window's XP NTFS partition to FAT32 with gparted. After doing a deep scan I was able to restore to the original partition table and format without any lose of data. It was quite incredible really. After restoring the boot manager I had my computer back like nothing had happen. I ended up donating 25 dollars to the guy (I'm a poor grad student or I would have given him much more). Of course I would strongly advise you to clone your drive and work on the clone so you don't do irreversible damage to the drive while trying to restore.

I have the instructions I used to recover somewhere, I will try and find them and post them within 24 hours.
    "Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer" -Voltaire