Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xorg sometimes maxes out CPU or crashes

Beans

Xorg sometimes maxes out CPU or crashes

A few times a week, I'll get up in the morning and go on my computer, just to find the frame rate reduced to 5-10 FPS with a huge input lag. Logging out and back in fixes this. It turns out that when this happens, Xorg begins using 12.5% CPU constantly (way more than it should), and I assume that's because it's using 100% of one of my eight cores (four physical). Also, this isn't a sudden thing. Xorg will start slowing down slightly, maybe using about 3-5% CPU, and my frame rate drops to about 30 FPS. As time goes on in that state, the FPS gets lower and lower and Xorg begins using more CPU, until finally it hits a low of about 5 FPS (and the lag is to the point where I have to wait maybe 10 seconds for the "auto-hidden" task bar to appear when I hover over it, and sometimes after that it'll crash.

Is there any way I can catch this before it begins to happen, or better yet, prevent it altogether?

I put the Xorg logs in an attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: Xorg sometimes maxes out CPU or crashes

The ability of a processor to handle two threads at once does not make it another core but a logical equivalence to one.

Anyway, I have the same issue you do only it's not causing me to crash. I have my computer on all day and even though Xorg, Nautilus and the gnome-shell have my cpu idling around 50% usage combined, the system is still stable and not overheating.

I think this a new issue with the 12.10 release.

And it's across different brands of cpu's as well. Mine is AMD while yours must obviously be Intel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    The ability of a processor to handle two threads at once does not make it another core but a logical equivalence to one.
    Yeah I know. I meant four logical and four physical cores.

Anyway, I have the same issue you do only it's not causing me to crash. I have my computer on all day and even though Xorg, Nautilus and the gnome-shell have my cpu idling around 50% usage combined, the system is still stable and not overheating.

I think this a new issue with the 12.10 release.

And it's across different brands of cpu's as well. Mine is AMD while yours must obviously be Intel.
    OK, I was thinking it might have been that I've enabled experimental SNA support (I forgot to mention that) which is slightly unstable, but if you have AMD then it can't be SNA's fault.

Sadly I don't think there's a way to restart the X server without logging out, otherwise I'd just create a bash script to restart Xorg if its CPU usage went too high and for too long.

Beans

It just occurred to me that you're using Kubuntu and not Ubuntu. Do you know what the main difference between our distros is?

I'm only wondering because Xorg handles proprietary drivers, right? I'm using nVidia and I used the nVidia control panel to enchance application's antialiasing and to also enhance image quality to max. My driver version is 304.43 also.

And I have a roommate who might be wrong but he told me that one of Ubuntu's main design philosophies was based around aesthetic beauty, that this OS would have the potential to look very, very pretty.

So I'm just curious if 12.10 is an attempt at increasing, what was it called, the post-processing and anti-aliasing? Because I think it is not a coincidence that the gnome-shell, Xorg and nautilus eat my CPU like never before.

Beans

It just occurred to me that you're using Kubuntu and not Ubuntu. Do you know what the main difference between our distros is?
    The main difference is that Ubuntu uses Unity by default and Kubuntu uses KDE by default. They also come with a different set of applications (Kate instead of Gedit, etc). Other than that they're essentially the same.

I'm only wondering because Xorg handles proprietary drivers, right? I'm using nVidia and I used the nVidia control panel to enchance application's antialiasing and to also enhance image quality to max. My driver version is 304.43 also.
    I also have Nvidia, but I'm currently using Intel's integrated GPU (the Intel HD 3000) because I'm on a laptop. Bumblebee does allow me to use my discrete GPU but only with individual applications. So I guess that means it's happening on both Intel graphics and Nvidia.

And I have a roommate who might be wrong but he told me that one of Ubuntu's main design philosophies was based around aesthetic beauty, that this OS would have the potential to look very, very pretty.
    I think Ubuntu's philosophy is to be easier to use for people who are new to Linux. That's why I use Kubuntu, because I feel that Unity and its set of default applications "hold you hand" through things too much (I would use Fedora or another distro but I love the *buntu's support). And Kubuntu's KDE is made to be both very aesthetically appealing, and also very customizable.

So I'm just curious if 12.10 is an attempt at increasing, what was it called, the post-processing and anti-aliasing? Because I think it is not a coincidence that the gnome-shell, Xorg and nautilus eat my CPU like never before.
    I don't know about that. I don't think that's it but I have no definitive proof one way or the other.

So I guess now we know it's occuring on both Intel and AMD CPUs, and on both Nvidia and Intel GPUs, so I guess it's more-or-less hardware-independant.

Beans

Just a few minutes ago, this happened again (it happens about once a day), but this time the graphics went all wonky. Here's the screenshot I managed to take before it became too glitchy to navigate around (I had to restart Xorg).

Does anyone know of any (even temporary) work-arounds for this?

Beans

bump

Beans

bump?

This is still causing a lot of problems for me. Just a few minutes ago I had to reset Xorg again because my computer bottomed out to 6 fps.

Beans

Anyone?

Beans

b-bump?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast