Thread: script as root cron job not executing properly

Beans

script as root cron job not executing properly

I recently found and tweaked a script that is supposed to help my 12.04, heavily modified system, maintain its wifi connection to my home router. The connection's been kinda dodgy, and I decided polling for a new dhcp lease regularly might help that.

The script I found and modified looks like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

if ! `ping -c 1 -w 1 -q 192.168.1.1 </dev/null &>/dev/null` ; then
            echo "resetting eth0 $(date)" >>/home/user/renew-eth0.txt
            ifdown eth0
            ifup eth0
    else
            echo "eth0 operational $(date)" >>/home/user/renew-eth0.txt
    fi
    exit 0
    What the script does, of course, is run a ping test and, based on the result of the ping test, either brings down, then up again, eth0, and sends a message to a log file to that effect, or simply writes to a file with a time/date stamp that eth0 is already up. Pretty simple.

Now, when I bring eth0 down manually, then run that script manually (sudo) from the command line, it works fine: eth0 gets an IP. When I specify the path to that file as a cron job for the root user, however, it doesn't run as expected. It does do the ping test and write the time/date stamped message to the specified file if eth0 is operational. If the ping test is unsuccessful, it also writes the time/date stamped message to the log file: but it does not succeed in bringing up eth0: the computer gets no IP when the script runs this way, despite the fact that it does get an IP when I run the script manually from the command line.

So, what could be going on here? Why would the script run successfully when entered at the command line, but only run partially when specified as a cron job? I'm confused by this. Anyone else not?

Thanks,
    James

Beans

Re: script as root cron job not executing properly

Try using /sbin/ifup and /sbin/ifdown. It's always good practice to use complete paths in cron.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Try using /sbin/ifup and /sbin/ifdown. It's always good practice to use complete paths in cron.
    Thanks for the tip, SeijiSensei. I'd actually considered doing that but was uncertain whether it would help. I've gone ahead and edited the script and will inform here whether it starts to work as expected.

Another modification to the script I've considered is changing ifdown eth0/ifup eth0 to dhclient -r/dhclient eth0. I'm not sure that would really make any significant change, though, since ifdown/ifup already call dhclient, if I understand correctly. Any comments on that possible further modification, anyone?

James
    Last edited by wayover13; December 8th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wayover13 View Post
    I recently found and tweaked a script that is supposed to help my 12.04, heavily modified system, maintain its wifi connection to my home router. The connection's been kinda dodgy, and I decided polling for a new dhcp lease regularly might help that.

The script I found and modified looks like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

if ! `ping -c 1 -w 1 -q 192.168.1.1 </dev/null &>/dev/null` ; then
            echo "resetting eth0 $(date)" >>/home/user/renew-eth0.txt
            ifdown eth0
            ifup eth0
    else
            echo "eth0 operational $(date)" >>/home/user/renew-eth0.txt
    fi
    exit 0
    What the script does, of course, is run a ping test and, based on the result of the ping test, either brings down, then up again, eth0, and sends a message to a log file to that effect, or simply writes to a file with a time/date stamp that eth0 is already up. Pretty simple.

Now, when I bring eth0 down manually, then run that script manually (sudo) from the command line, it works fine: eth0 gets an IP. When I specify the path to that file as a cron job for the root user, however, it doesn't run as expected. It does do the ping test and write the time/date stamped message to the specified file if eth0 is operational. If the ping test is unsuccessful, it also writes the time/date stamped message to the log file: but it does not succeed in bringing up eth0: the computer gets no IP when the script runs this way, despite the fact that it does get an IP when I run the script manually from the command line.

So, what could be going on here? Why would the script run successfully when entered at the command line, but only run partially when specified as a cron job? I'm confused by this. Anyone else not?

Thanks,
    James
    do you call your sript from /etc/crontab ?
    after the ifdown command just patch:
    echo "ifdown returns $?" >> /tmp/ifdown_up.txt
    and after ifup
    echo "ifup returns $?" >> /tmp/ifdown_up.txt

if the returncode ($?) isn't zero you can find the meaning of it in:
    /usr/include/asm-generic/errno-base.h
    or
    /usr/include/asm-generic/errno.h
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rnerwein View Post
    do you call your sript from /etc/crontab ?
    No, it doesn't appear so--at least I don't find the cronjob there. I added the job by running sudo crontab -e, btw. Thanks for the further logging tips you've offered, rnerwein. It does seem that adding the full path to the ifup/ifdown binaries, as suggested by SeijiSensei, has got the script working now.

James
    Last edited by wayover13; December 9th, 2012 at 10:53 PM.