Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mint 14 KDE Edition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Mint 14 KDE Edition

Some of you might know that I have been looking at nearly all of the full featured desktop environments lately, trying to find the one that did everything I wanted the way I wanted it too. I looked at Cinnamon, Gnome Shell, Mate, Unity and a couple others that are distro specific.

Recently I installed the Linux Mint 14 KDE x64 release candidate to take a look at it. Before anyone says it, I know it is Kubuntu re-branded with codecs installed by default and that is fine with me, they are both very good and I have always had nothing but admiration for the Kubuntu community. I wanted specific features out of the box, like all of the Dolphin right click features though.

At any rate, KDE has really gotten very good since the last time I had used it. I love how the hot corner is only active when multiple applications are running, it's nice and it's not annoying. I liked how everything to set up the system was in one place too, no hunting for anything!

The default set of applications was ideal for me, not too much or too little. I play a lot of music and I had forgotten how nice Kaffiene was! I like how easy it is to change themes in KDE, no using a piece of this and that to get everything looking right. Gtk apps look right at home in KDE! I should mention that I upgraded KDE from 4.9.2 to 4.9.4, it made memory use a bit better and it seems to run nice and smooth now.

I like how the maintainer of this edition chose to stay with the original KDE 4 folder icons, I know this is a small detail but I like these icons much better than the new KDE default folder icons. Another small detail, plymouth works perfectly with ATI and NVidea graphics. I have gotten so used to plymouth not working with most anything Ubuntu based and this was just a pleasant surprise to me.

I love how I can fine tune compositing in KDE to my taste with no hassle and the alt, tab feature is nice! KDE lets me do anything I want to the panel too and I like that I can have it wherever I want it and have any shortcut I want where I want them.

KDE is giving me every feature I could possibly want and I have not seen a single error message with it, it really seems solid and dependable. My hats off to the Kubuntu developers, the Mint team and the KDE developers. I think I have found a desktop environment I can enjoy using!

I looked at KDE last because I honestly thought it would be bloated and use a lot more memory than the other full featured environments but I was dead wrong on that. KDE 4.9.4 uses about the same memory footprint as Ubuntu 12.10 with Unity and that's not bad considering how feature rich the system is.

I am glad I took the time to explore all my options as far as desktop environments go, it was a good experience. KDE really surprised me because of how customizable it is and how well thought out many of it's settings are. I think I have finally found the ideal desktop environment that suits my needs. If you have not looked at KDE in a while, it really is worth the time to have a look.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Mint 14 KDE Edition

imo no other DE is even close to KDE right now and I used to be a KDE hater (which I now know was more of ignorance as a "GTK" guy)

since KDE 4.6, but especially 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 KDE has been exceptional.

Beans

Hi there,

Cool that you found what you are looking for. I hope that you enjoy it as I enjoy my Maya Mint 13 distro. I just wanted to ask you can you give me some numbers for the memory usage without you running any applications and probably one nice view of what are the changes (just if you want to post your desktop )?

cheers
    ! Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition !

Beans

KDE is awesome, rock solid since 4x series. Though I always liked it years ago, but recently it has been fantastic.

Blisteringly fast and responsive, no bugs (for me at least), great support for dual monitors, customisation and control is second to none.

I cant remember what the resources are and i dont want to close everything down but currently with 2 screens running at 1920x1080, Firfox 17.01 with 7 tabs open, Ktorrent downloading 4 torrents, VLC playing a movie and Xchat sat in background along with Thunderbird I am sat using 2.01 GB of ram, I have 16 so plenty to spare.

I wouldnt trade KDE for anything, so customisable.
    Last edited by haqking; December 11th, 2012 at 01:59 AM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    KDE is awesome, rock solid since 4x series. Though I always liked it years ago, but recently it has been fantastic.

Blisteringly fast and responsive, no bugs, great support for dual monitors, customisation and control is second to none.

I cant remember what the resources are and i dont want to close everything down but currently with 2 screens running at 1920x1080, Firfox 17.01 with 7 tabs open, Ktorrent downloading 4 torrents, VLC playing a movie and Xchat sat in background along with Thunderbird I am sat using 2.01 GB of ram, I have 16 so plenty to spare.

I wouldnt trade KDE for anything, so customisable.
    Wow that is great performance I also have almost 1.4 RAM of usage with thunderbird, 5 tabs of Firefox 17.0, Kile & Okular... Cool

cheers
    ! Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d.atanasov View Post
    Wow that is great performance I also have almost 1.4 RAM of usage with thunderbird, 5 tabs of Firefox 17.0, Kile & Okular... Cool

cheers
    You wanted to see, it doesnt really show any customisation because i cant be bothered to do anything other than press print screen

http://imagebin.org/238849

Peace

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

haqking, that dark theme looks great!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    haqking, that dark theme looks great!
    fruit-black normal scheme with adjusted colours. I have a mixture of white and red text depending on the application, i also have varying transparencys per application.

Menus are white, application text is red etc.

an example here http://imagebin.org/238854
    Last edited by haqking; December 11th, 2012 at 01:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

KDE is the most advanced DE out there for me. I agree with the previous post that it's been rock solid since 4x. It's just beautiful. I have never tried Linux Mint but in the near future I'll give it a try. I was using Kubuntu until 10.10 but since then I think things kinda went downhill. I'm currently using Debian Squeeze with KDE and I have to say it's awesome. Canonical has to think about what's really Ubuntu's future as a desktop...and I'd say that's KDE.
    I killed hope,but you buried it....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Agree with the above posts about KDE. Nothing even comes close. Its powerful, customizable, fast, and looks great. KDE also has some of the best open source apps out there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast