Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to ubuntu forum intro

Beans

new to ubuntu forum intro

Hi I'm new to ubuntu forums my dad sent me here for information. I'm 9 years old and my dad and I are going to work together on building an ubuntu distro os from scratch using LFS so any help or advice on building ubuntu from source would be appreciated. Should I install all packages or build each package from source

Beans

Re: new to ubuntu forum intro

Quote Originally Posted by nasweitzer View Post
    Hi I'm new to ubuntu forums my dad sent me here for information. I'm 9 years old and my dad and I are going to work together on building an ubuntu distro os from scratch using LFS so any help or advice on building ubuntu from source would be appreciated. Should I install all packages or build each package from source
    should I use LFS or ubuntu image source
    note i'm new

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are talking about Linux From Scratch, Ubuntu and Linux From Scratch are two different things.

Ubuntu is a binary distro, which means the package manager installs binary packages.

Linux From Scratch is a different Linux distribution that installs all programs from source code.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

hows the best why to go about it want to build ubuntu from scratch including the image file from source this is a learning thing for me and my dad
    Last edited by nasweitzer; December 8th, 2012 at 04:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You probably won't find instructions on building Ubuntu from source code. Most people use Ubuntu to avoid having to do stuff like that. It is definitely possible, but if you are really set on doing this you might have to adapt the Linux From Scratch (LFS) instructions. I think you would be better off following the LFS guides with a standard linux kernel, as this will be hard enough. You will have more guidance and more people to turn to if you run into trouble. If you get it working, it will definitely be an achievement and you can use your new knowledge and skills to try doing it with Ubuntu after that. You can try asking on the LFS mailing list too: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/mail.html - they might be able to give you some good advice.

Beans

we printed the book fore LFS

Beans

should I us ubuntu 12.04 minimal to build and how would i make a live cd from it

Beans

I'm letting him research the project we downloaded the book LFS 7.1 on ubuntu 12.04 we were looking into building from scratch I have a clean install of 12.04 alternate install on a disk that Nathan will use as his working partician and the project will encompass building either from source or from minimal disk I prefer source for him to do the project so he can get a full understanding of the build process and structure of Ubuntu and get a confidence in using terminal its really just a basic os using gnome shell as gui no unity no cairo as he like me doesn't like unity I have an install of 12.10 with unity gnome-shell and kde on it and let him look at the various desktops and choose his desktop he prefers gnome classic using shell have already gone into synaptic package manager and wrote a download script for all game packages within repos maybe his thread should be moved to programming and development.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

LFS and Ubuntu Minimal are different from each other. Ubuntu Minimal is the base Ubuntu system and nothing more. From it you can install the packages you need (X, a display manager, etc)

LFS allows you to build a new Linux system from scratch, from the ground up. Building a LFS system takes a lot of time, and it's generally for educational purposes only.

It's not exactly clear on what you guys want, so you should elaborate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by nasweitzer View Post
    should I us ubuntu 12.04 minimal to build and how would i make a live cd from it
    That would be a better place to start than LFS. LFS is a very long, very technical, very laborious way to build Linux. It's apparently an excellent education in the nuts and bolts, but not suitable for someone new to Linux. Put that one down for later.

Starting with the minimal image will give you a command line system, then you can add packages. It'll teach you about the package manager and how the dependencies build up a complete system. That's an important part of Linux, as it's essentially a modular system.

Once you've got a system built you can use Remastersys to create a Live CD of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast