Thread: product search - block all outgoing attempts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

product search - block all outgoing attempts

Hi All,

I have multiple users on my network (we rent one computer room in a university) and rather than changing the privacy settings for each user I have told the front facing router to drop any outbound attempts to connect to productsearch.ubuntu.com

As an administrator, I don't want to see what people are searching their desktops for which is coming right in front of me when I tail the logs. They may be looking for sensitive files, things that they certainly wouldn't want the random IT guy knowing. I'm here to monitor the network, ensure everything runs smoothly and ensure nothing illegal is accessed on the web, and frankly all these product searches were making it very difficult to do my job.

This seems sufficient to stop it for now, but what are the plans for the next release of ubuntu? Are all third party connections going to go through productsearch.ubuntu.com or will I have to drop multiple domains? Can't you run it under HTTPS instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: product search - block all outgoing attempts

Quote Originally Posted by Monotoko View Post
    This seems sufficient to stop it for now, but what are the plans for the next release of ubuntu? Are all third party connections going to go through productsearch.ubuntu.com or will I have to drop multiple domains? Can't you run it under HTTPS instead?
    Who is "you"?. This is a support forum, not an Ubuntu developer forum.

If you want to ask about a specific package, then find the package and use Launchpad - that is what it is for.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way