Thread: how to partition a DVD

Beans

how to partition a DVD

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty green with Ubuntu and Linux, so... I can't figure out how to partition a 4.4 GB DVD using the command line. I know it must involve fdisk and mkfs and maybe something else like wodim, but I can't figure how. Internet searches have yielded little except ads for apps with nice guis that do the job. But, I'd like to "roll my own".

Thank you.

Mark Allyn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: how to partition a DVD

A DVD does not hold a filesystem like the tradition hard drive or USB sticks/drives.

Optical disks hold "sessions" -- which you "burn" to the disk using a DVD writing-app.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Re: how to partition a DVD

Hi Mark Phelps,

I was beginning to come to this conclusion after looking at the file types available in fdisk. None of them shows a "UDF" type. I kept seeing that there was a sector size of 2048 on the DVD (not 512) which also indicated a problem. When I stuck the disk into a Win 7 box and asked to format it the MSFT formatter gave no choice other than several varieties of UDF--not even FAT32 ext.

This is rather interesting only in that many of the materials I came across in my serching casually state that CDs/DVD/s can be partitioned. Evidenly, this is not so.

I shall cease and desist.

Regards,
    Mark Allyn