Thread: Booting to disk on Acer AX3470

Beans

Booting to disk on Acer AX3470

So my dad bought an Acer AX3470 desktop and he wants me to set up an Ubuntu partition. After taking about 45 minutes just to figure out how to get into the bios (del + f1) I am unable to boot from a disk. I changed the boot priority to cd/dvd and I leave the installation disk in the tray and reboot. It continues to boot into Windows 8. Even after activating the boot options menu I cannot select booting from a disk, only the windows boot loader. Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

The bios version is:
    P11-A0

Secure boot is disabled.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Beans

Re: Booting to disk on Acer AX3470

I just wanted to get this back on top because I have the same problem with the same machine. Googling around suggests that there is a problem perhaps with the AMD graphics card. Commonly people with the same machine report the blank black screen after booting trying to boot from a USB drive or dvd and this is where I get hung up too. I regularly boot my laptop from the same thumb drive so it is not a corruption issue.

Has anyone successfully installed an ubuntu release on an AX3470 either as the sole operating system or as dual boot with win 7 or 8?

Beans

Re: Booting to disk on Acer AX3470

I managed to get Ubuntu 12.10 installed on the machine. After disabling csm in the BIOS I was able to boot into the USB. There was a graphics issue at one point, and I have now forgotten how it was resolved. But I will reply when I remember/figure it out.