Thread: 8.04 to 12.04 update

Beans

8.04 to 12.04 update

I'm finally getting around to updating my old mythbuntu system from 8.04 to 12.04. The only thing that's actually on the drive in my mythbuntu box is the OS/myth itself and a handful of casually installed/used utility programs that only kind of worked. All the media is stored on a NAS. I'd prefer to just do a new install of 12/04 and start clean, instead of an upgrade.
    1) Is there a way to back up the database pre-re-install, restore the database post-install, and have everything hook back up to the nfs mounted media?
    2) Any known issues with 8.04 era hardware on 12.04 software? i.e., CPUs or kworld tuners?
    3) I'd like to trial this in a virtual machine. I already ghosted my 8.04 install into a VM, and I'm having trouble booting. This isn't a myth question, but a linux issue - when I boot I get a "GRUB" prompt. I booted the mythbuntu 8.04 live cd, and installed grub to the MBR (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351) and now when it boots I repeatedly get this:
    mytherror.png

I've tried to run fsck, and it seems to want to move every sector on the drive. Any ideas on this?

Thanks for your help

Beans

Re: 8.04 to 12.04 update

Quote Originally Posted by bah1976 View Post
    I'm finally getting around to updating my old mythbuntu system from 8.04 to 12.04. The only thing that's actually on the drive in my mythbuntu box is the OS/myth itself and a handful of casually installed/used utility programs that only kind of worked. All the media is stored on a NAS. I'd prefer to just do a new install of 12/04 and start clean, instead of an upgrade.
    1) Is there a way to back up the database pre-re-install, restore the database post-install, and have everything hook back up to the nfs mounted media?
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
    The database will be upgraded by the backend or mythtv-setup when you start them. However you should note that it won't update a database older than 0.22 - see the 0.25 release notes in the wiki http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25 .

2) Any known issues with 8.04 era hardware on 12.04 software? i.e., CPUs or kworld tuners?
    3) I'd like to trial this in a virtual machine. I already ghosted my 8.04 install into a VM, and I'm having trouble booting. This isn't a myth question, but a linux issue - when I boot I get a "GRUB" prompt. I booted the mythbuntu 8.04 live cd, and installed grub to the MBR (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351) and now when it boots I repeatedly get this:
    mytherror.png

I've tried to run fsck, and it seems to want to move every sector on the drive. Any ideas on this?

Thanks for your help[/QUOTE]

Beans

I upgraded from 9.04 to 12.04 a few months ago. It's not exactly your setup but as 8.04 and 9.04 both use mythtv 0.21 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythbuntu) it's very close.

My story is here: http://www.mythtvtalk.com/copy-0-21-...-0-25-a-15728/

As you'll see I started by trying out12.04 to check fitness for purpose before doing anything else - it worked fine with my 2009 era hardware.

I found it necessary to boot a copy of 11.10 as an intermediate to convert the database then do a backup again ready for restore and conversion into a 12.04 setup.

In order to be able to back out gracefully, resume original setup and lick my wounds whilst I rethought the process should it all go wrong I scraped together 3 disks onto which were loaded 9.04, 11.10 and 12.04 respectively. It did go wrong first time!

However,
    a) you may well get away with your virtual disk approach.
    b) I copied recordings from disk to disk but that should not be necessary with your NAS.
    c) Will the switch of grub regime (to 1.99) give problems with your virtual disks?

Best wishes in the fun days ahead. You'll know a lot more about Myth when you have done this!

Phil

Beans

I've made some significant progress - thanks for the tips.
    My VM is now running as primary backend on 12.04, and is correctly using the two ports of my hdhomerun.
    The physical box was installed clean with 12.04 as a secondary backend/frontend (as a parallel install, so I can look back if needed). I'm unable to get my kworld 115 PCI tuners to tune anything. I can't find anything online that's recent. I think I need to download nxt2004 firmware, but I can't figure out how. I don't have, and can't find get_dvb_firmware.pl

Any ideas on this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bah1976 View Post
    I've made some significant progress - thanks for the tips.
    My VM is now running as primary backend on 12.04, and is correctly using the two ports of my hdhomerun.
    The physical box was installed clean with 12.04 as a secondary backend/frontend (as a parallel install, so I can look back if needed). I'm unable to get my kworld 115 PCI tuners to tune anything. I can't find anything online that's recent. I think I need to download nxt2004 firmware, but I can't figure out how. I don't have, and can't find get_dvb_firmware.pl

Any ideas on this?
    Have you installed linux-firmware-nonfree (it's an ubuntu package).

Beans

Perfect! That's what I was missing - thanks nickrout!
    One final piece of the puzzle - back when I set up my 8.04 system, I found some process where I had to manually edit the database to add the second input on my kworld 115's for QAM. They're working fine as ATSC, but I don't remember how I made those changes. Does anybody know where I could find that process, or recall how to do it?

Beans

Ironically, google found my original 8.04 posting on the atsc/qam setup. But the last post by newlinux says this:
    Just an FYI, If you are using myth .21 there no longer is a parentid field. You can just use input groups to stop recordings from happening at the same time. Just create 2 different inputs (basically two different cards) one ATSC, one QAM, and then create an INPUT group and assign both of them too it. No direct database modification is needed anymore.
    Since I'm actually using .26, how do I create another input card? It tells me that it's already in use if I try to select it.