Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! "Desktop effects could not be enabled" after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Unhappy HELP! "Desktop effects could not be enabled" after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10

The desktop visual effect cannot be activated after I upgraded my Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10. No matter "Normal", "Extra" or "Custom" option I selected in Visual Effects tab of the Appearance Preferences dialog box, the "can not be enabled" warning shows up. But I can enabled the Extra desktop visual effect under Ubuntu 10.04.
    My video card is nVidia m105, and my laptop is Thinkpad SL400. I tried to add my user account to the "gdm", "video" etc, but I got the same error message.
    So I came here to ask for your help.
    Last edited by HQiu; October 16th, 2010 at 04:24 AM.

Beans

Re: HELP! "Desktop effects could not be enabled" after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10

Also, I think I've updated the video driver to the latest version ("nvidia-current") using command "sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade". I also installed the compiz using "sudo apt-get install compiz-*". But it seemed that was not working.

Beans

Try going to the hardware center (Sys -> Admin -> Hardware), then remove the Nvidia driver, reboot and activate the driver again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Try going to the hardware center (Sys -> Admin -> Hardware), then remove the Nvidia driver, reboot and activate the driver again.
    Thanks for your reply. I already did this before I went here, but that didn't help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello,

I too reached this point. Then I went to Ubuntu Tweak and enabled x Updates stable. It gave me 5 nVidiia driver updates which I installed. Alas, to not avail. In a related issue, even though additional drivers tells me it is installed and activated, extras won't work in visual effects. Is this one of those just waits?
    Thanks, Richard

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearbevis View Post
    Hello,

I too reached this point. Then I went to Ubuntu Tweak and enabled x Updates stable. It gave me 5 nVidiia driver updates which I installed. Alas, to not avail. In a related issue, even though additional drivers tells me it is installed and activated, extras won't work in visual effects. Is this one of those just waits?
    Thanks, Richard
    Yes, I also enabled the x-updates source list in Ubuntu Tweak, but it gave me nothing new when I click Sync or Refresh button.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HELP! "Desktop effects could not be enabled" after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10

SOLVED!

Anyone having the problem similar with mine, please refer to the Ubuntu Tweak Bug Reporting: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-tweak/+bug/653933. Please read the #16 reply. It helped me out anyway.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: HELP! "Desktop effects could not be enabled" after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10

Thank you. I was having the exact same problem. I figured it couldn't be the driver but was stumped to what it was. Here is the comment from above that fixes the issue.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-tw...33/comments/16
    Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.67GHz || Memory: 6144MB PC2-6400 RAM || GPU: GeForce 9800GTS
    Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Fata1ity Gamer Pro || Hard Drive: >4 TB Total || Monitor: Two LG 22" Flatron Wide LCD Monitor

Beans

The post you refer to says the following:

Please go to "Package Cleaner"->"Purge PPAs", purge the "Compiz PPA", it will fix this problem.

Sorry for this newbish question.. but how do I "go to Package Cleaner" ??

Thanks !

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had this exact issue moving from 10.04 to 10.10 when it was released. I had tried purging all nvidia packages and re-installing nvidia-current, but what worked in the end was installing the latest driver off the nvidia site, not nvidia-current.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast