Thread: USB 3.0 port not accepting USB 2.0 mouse?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

USB 3.0 port not accepting USB 2.0 mouse?

I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my Samsung Chronos 7.

I have a wireless mouse that I want to use left-handed. However, on the left side of the laptop both USB ports are USB 3.0 (iirc). If I plug the mouse into either of those ports, it does not work, nor does it show up on 'lsusb'. If I put it in the regular USB ports on the right side of the laptop, it works completely plug-n-play.

The whole point of this mouse is that it is a left-handed mouse. Help?

Beans

Re: USB 3.0 port not accepting USB 2.0 mouse?

Long shot, my USB3 ports are not recognised unless I boot with something plugged into them, as I said, a long shot but your question interests me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You're right--the answer seems to be to boot with the mouse plugged into the 3.0 port. If it's unplugged for any reason, the computer needs to be restarted.

weird thing is tho', 'lsusb' SEES the 3.0 ports, but apparently I just can't use them...? I wonder, does it work if you try to plug-n-play a 3.0 device? I don't think I own any to test it with.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I plug the dongle for my wireless mouse into the left side of my laptop, and use the mouse on the right side. Your mouse doesn't have that range? What brand, if I may ask?