Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromium won't save settings

Beans

Chromium won't save settings

I'm using Chromium 25.0.1323.1 (from ppa:a-v-shkop/chromium), and for some reason I can't change any settings. For example, if I go to about:settings and try activating anything (say, "Enable phishing and malware protection"), if I refresh the page the change is undone. Chromium doesn't have an "Apply" button, and this use to work in the past, but now it seems like Chromium simply won't save changes. This also happens if I try to add a site to the JavaScript whitelist (I have JavaScript disabled on all sites by default). Browser history seems to be saved though...

Why is this? I can't seem to remember anything that could have caused it. Checking syslog showed that it's not having problems with AppArmor, and ~/.config/chromium is owned by me, so it can't be a problem of permissions. How can I get Chromium to save settings again? I tried re-installing Chromium, and I tried deleting .config, but it didn't work.

Is anyone else having this problem with this version of Chromium? How do I fix this, or should I just wait for an update to fix it?
    Last edited by Stonecold1995; December 10th, 2012 at 01:19 AM.

Beans

Re: Chromium won't save settings

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If your on version 25 your using the unstable branch of this ppa, uninstall chromium and delete ~/.config/chromium then switch to the stable ppa which carries version 23 and reinstall chromium,
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans

So it is just the Chromium version needs a but to be fixed? I'll probably just wait until a fix rolls out instead in that case.

Beans
    Distro

But if you continue to use the unstable branch will always have a beta version of chromium and may experience unexpected bugs at any time, I'm not claiming it will definitely fix your issue but did you have a specific reason not to use the stable branch

Beans

I just prefer the beta versions, I get access to new browser flags more quickly that way. I haven't had an update for a while though, so it's kind of confusing why it's taking so long. Then again it's not the official PPA.

Beans
    Distro

No your right, its one programmer volunteering his free time to it, which is cool, if you insist on using unstable versions of any software you don't really have much room to complain when they don't work as expected, to each his own though I suppose

Beans

Chromium hasn't updated for a long time. Is this PPA no longer being maintained?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold1995 View Post
    Chromium hasn't updated for a long time. Is this PPA no longer being maintained?
    Did you contact the ppa owner?

Beans
    Distro

Possibly just another chromium ppa that has fallen by the wayside, apparently chromium is a hard project to package, so sooner or later the package maintainer seems to lose interest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast