Thread: one instance of a (txt) file

Beans

one instance of a (txt) file

Hello everybody,

i have a to do list on my desktop,
    it is a TXT file. but sometimes i'm running this file a few times and then i'm typing all kinds of to do in different windows...

1)Is it possible to open only one instance of this file, and if you wanna open this file twice, that the already opened file shows up.

2)can anybody thinks on a solution for the next problem: if i shutdown, can this file be automatically saved ?

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: one instance of a (txt) file

i can think of possible solutions-
    one would be to not actually have the text file on the desktop but a .desktop file instead, which opens that text file in an editor. or a shell script doing the same, maybe also taking care of the saving.

i'm not so versed in .desktop files but just copy an existing one to your desktop and start messing

about saving automagically when exiting, that is more tricky, i think it would involve telling your system that it must not just terminate the process...
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans

Re: one instance of a (txt) file

thanks ohnonot,

i'm gonna give that a try.

i'll be back