Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Libre Office won't export as PDF

Beans

Re: Libre Office won't export as PDF

Those options really aren't available if you are exporting charts and tables to the web. I could use HTML tables for the latter, but WordPress doesn't make that especially easy. The last time I created a table I had to hand-code the HTML. As for charts, the options are basically PNG and JPEG.

I'm not the only one who uses graphics to present data tables; just take a look at Nate Silver's 538 Blog for examples.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin Dan View Post
    I actually did install cups-pdf, but don't see any option to print to pdf in the file menu...
    Cups-pdf installs a "printer," so you select it in the Print sub-menu.

Beans

OK, here are the windows I get when I try to "Export as PDF...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Discovery begins when you throw away the instruction manual!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it makes me really happy to see that you are running 12.04 on a PPC Emac.. I have an older one at home that I rarely use anymore but ran 10.04 on it for years. Long Live PPC!

I think the save button is hidden on the bottom as mentioned earlier. Try to click that little arrow to minimize the "filetype" -- then try to move the window up or down and you should see the save button.

Lastly if none of that works -- click into the box where you name it and .. Name the document "whatever.pdf" and press enter it should just save at that point. (Just tried it and it worked for me)
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans

Thanks levlaz - I'll check that out ASAP, which probably won't be until sometime this weekend. Thanks for the tip. I also tried to save this as a PDF out of GIMP but was unable to...don't remember exactly why at the moment. I'll look into that as well.

Yeah, I previously had Ubuntu 10.10 Ppc. installed on this box and it was quite snappy - loved that distro! 12.04 is a little more ponderous, but I went for the 5-year LTS like a ham sandwich. This is my wife's machine and she knows way less about computers than even I do, so she wants everything to "just work". I installed the Lubuntu desktop on it, and so far she's had no complaints other than the normal miscues any rookie would make on any OS. I've tried several other Ppc distros. Debian Ppc is a little too geeky for me - couldn't quite get the hang of updating through the back-ports when my browser crashed 'cause it wasn't supported anymore. I really Liked Mint Linux Ppc as it runs like the wind. But since it's Debian based, I crashed and burned that too, klutz that I am. Ubuntu has proved to be the most stable, forgiving, and goof proof distro I've found. At least I haven't screwed it up -yet!
    Last edited by Javelin Dan; December 7th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Beans

gordintoronto - I did pull up my print menu and I did see the option to select PDF. But I'm a little cloudy on how to save the image as a PDF from that point. Please enlighten me...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Select PDF as your "printer," and click on Print. The PDF should go into a folder in your /home, called PDF.

Beans

BINGO!!! Both suggestions worked as advertised!

lavlaz - Clicking the file button had no real effect, I couldn't move the panel around, and I never could find a save button. But simply clicking "Enter" did the trick. My PDF was saved in my documents folder. What threw me was that once I named the file, it never did get titled in that window as a "PDF" even though I had selected that option on the previous panel. But it showed up in my documents folder as one.

gordintoronto - Your solution also worked as advertised! I couldn't get my head around asking it to "print" when actually all it does is save the document as a PDF in a new file it creates in your documents file, but it did exactly that.

Thanks to you both and all who weighed in. I now have at least two tools with which to create PDF's. Though I have to admit, I still long for Openoffice were you just clicked on the little icon to "save as PDF" and it was done. I'll go ahead and mark this puppy as solved!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    One of the most annoying aspects of Calc for me is that you cannot directly export charts. ...
    There may be good news according the release notes for LibreOffice 4 (beta):
    fdo#30944 Allow exporting a single chart (or other object) to different formats (PDF, SVG, PNG, JPG), target document with object size [Tomaž Vajngerl]

Beans

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out, or maybe give the beta a spin.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast