Thread: Should I downgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Beans

Should I downgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

I've seen a lot of people really hate the 12.10 release of Ubuntu, claiming canonical is selling its users to get more money, which is something I demise. And for a low-spec computer like mine, I've had some crashes and bugs that I didn't have in 12.04, which was outstanding for me. Have any of you switched back yo 12.04? And is it a good move?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Should I downgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.
    That's a sub-thread?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Unfortunately, even after all these years, Canonical STILL won't provide a way to roll-back to a previous release. So for folks who made the jump, and did not do a backup of their previous install, there is no simple way to "downgrade".

As for me, I've disliked Unity from the beginning -- and now that I see that Mint v14 is getting rave reviews, I just might switch over to using it.

What is the point of staying with an old version of a distro when the current version of another distro gives you what you want?

That's the great thing about the Linux community -- you don't have to shell out major money to switch over to something else.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Unfortunately, even after all these years, Canonical STILL won't provide a way to roll-back to a previous release. So for folks who made the jump, and did not do a backup of their previous install, there is no simple way to "downgrade".

As for me, I've disliked Unity from the beginning -- and now that I see that Mint v14 is getting rave reviews, I just might switch over to using it.

What is the point of staying with an old version of a distro when the current version of another distro gives you what you want?

That's the great thing about the Linux community -- you don't have to shell out major money to switch over to something else.
    I have a 12.10 and a 12.04 computer (for a private Minecraft server) and I can see that 12.04 is more stable than 12.10. 12.10 was the first release I saw something crash in. I wouldn't mind doing a re-install of 12.04 as it isn't my main computer. All of the websites having the same side as me I might as well do it.

EDIT: Installing 12.04 on the laptop now, and have a backup handy, let's hope I can get wireless working again.

EDIT 2: I got the wireless working after a little bit of tinkering and whatnot. Seems that the open source drivers worked when the proprietary drivers didn't. Ubuntu 12.04 is much more stable IMO now that I look at it compared to Ubuntu 12.10.
    Last edited by linuxvstheworld; December 6th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.