Thread: Ubuntu Locked up Solid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Locked up Solid

I downloaded and installed the kernel:final and now that install will only load up lightdm with users, blinking cursor, but mouse won't move and cannot get to terminal in the standard manner but GRub Recovery mode is working. Also tried various kernel non rc.
    This is not Convergence, This is now Gnome
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu Locked up Solid

After installing the latest kernel it broke xorg and some other depends. I was able to boot into 3.5.n-n and recover this system.

sudo apt-get upgrade -f

Now to track down what happened to that missing kernel. lol

Beans
    Distro

Synaptic installed the 3.7.0-6.14 kernelk. All is back to normal now:

Just a side note on ubuntu resilience: More and more I am able to learn how to recover seemingly unrecoverable linux-ubuntu installs. This last episode (where I though all was lost) proved again to be a wrong assumption. All the 3.7 kernels failed. I had to use a 3.5 version kernel to be able to get to terminal. Once there , in terminal, I was able to recover ubuntu. So even when grub-recovery fails , there always seems to be other methods of recovery.

It was not the 3.7 kernels that were bad , but , I assume, that the way I installed the kernel.final 3.7.0-6.14 from the *.deb packages. xorg and abi13 reportedly 'broke' in the process and were fixed with the -f option after getting to terminal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I do not have the education to install kernels they way you have done it but looking through Synaptic's filter under kernels, I see something called linux-signed-generic. It is described as "This package will always depend on the latest complete generic Linux kernel and headers. Signed with the Ubuntu EFI key."

It is not installed on my system. But I do not have a motherboard with secure boot. Will this mean complications for those who manually install kernels when testing on secure boot hardware?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I do not have the education to install kernels they way you have done it but looking through Synaptic's filter under kernels, I see something called linux-signed-generic. It is described as "This package will always depend on the latest complete generic Linux kernel and headers. Signed with the Ubuntu EFI key."

It is not installed on my system. But I do not have a motherboard with secure boot. Will this mean complications for those who manually install kernels when testing on secure boot hardware?

Regards.
    Good question . I was just discussing today about purchasing a souped-up Phenom i7 or whatever .. but then ... I just appreciate the way the older machines work ..