Thread: Games for youngsters

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Games for youngsters

My 9-year old nephew wants a computer to play games. I want to give him a computer with Ubuntu. What games would be suitable? Is there a list of Linux games?

(I'm a non-game-player, myself, except for scrabble and mah Jong)

thanks

Beans

Re: Games for youngsters

take a look at add remove programs theres loads of fun game

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have a few in my list that are classified as kid's games. I'll list the easiest I have first, getting to the more challenging, and then the ones I still haven't beaten.

Easy ------------
    Klickety (Double-click to remove groups of blocks of the same colour.)
    Gweled (Click and drag to remove horizontal or vertical groups of three or more similar gems.)
    KSnakeRace (Lots of settings can be changed in this game, making it easy to impossible; I prefer this to the other snake in the repos. You must 'eat' apples, without hitting your body or the walls. If you have the settings on, you must also avoid opponent snakes, and the head-bouncer ball, which kills you if it hits your head.)
    LBreakout2 (Paddle-and-ball game where you must knock out all the blocks. Has some interesting bonuses and block-types, also comes with lots of level-packs. Please note, it says 'DAMN' when you lose unless you set the Difficulty Level to Kids. You do this when you try to start a new game, just click on the difficulty 'til it comes up. You can hover over settings to see a pop-up telling you things about the setting. Kids level also means no maluses (bad bonuses) which to me sounds boring, so you could also just set the voice volume off (main menu>audio>speech) completely so that if he likes he can 'safely' play the harder levels. I know I knew worse words from school when I was nine, but some kids are lucky. )
    Njam (A pac-man clone: You play a little yellow circle and eat dots and fruit, but must avoid the ghosts unless they are flashing. It's a new version with lots of nice graphics.)
    KMahjongg (A chinese game originally. KMahjongg has some nice options the other Mahjongg in the repo doesn't have, so I use both. It's like snap, but more fun.)
    Shisen-Sho (Mahjongg tiles, but you click two matching tiles and if there is a clear path with only two bends between them, one will fly over to the other and vanish.)
    KFoulEggs (A similar game to tetris. You must make horizont/vertical lines of three or more 'eggs' for them to vanish. Begins easy, but gets faster and harder.)
    Mines (A seemingly simple game, but it is not. You must click the squares to reveal numbers. Each number can only have as many mines touching is as it's number... So with enough logic, oyu can figure out where not to click. You can right click to mark where you think mines are. If you hit a mine, you lose. When I was younger, I liked to play a large 'map' with as few mines as possible. It's how I learned the rather complex method needed to complete more minesome 'maps'.)
    Gnometris (A tetris clone. Coloured shapes made of squares are dropped from the top of the screen. You must stack them together to make lines from one side of the screen to the other, with no holes, at which point the line will vanish. You lose if your stacked shapes hit the top of the screen. You can turn and speed up the falling of blocks with certain keys, which I don't recall. The levels begin easy, but get faster and harder.)
    Ghextris (A strange tetris clone with hexagons making the shapes instead of squares. Doesn't seem like it would be any harder than usual tetris, but if you've only ever played 'pure' tetris, I assure you, it's a bit of a head-messup! It works just like Gnometris, but with hexagons.)

Medium/Attention Requiring --------
    Planet Penguin Racer (An awesome 3D race/item collecting game. You play a penguin and must traverse different levels on your stomach at awesome speeds, collecting herrings.)
    SuperTux (A supermario brothers clone, featuring Tux! You collect coins and defeat enemies to reach the final level and save your friend.)
    Metal Blob Solid (A game where you play a blob. You kill enemies with different weapons to save all the MIA blobs and complete the levels. Is frustrating later on, but if your nephew has the patience, it's fun.)
    Globulation 2 (What I call a god-game. You control a civilisation of globs, which unlike most games, you do not control directly. You set the amount of workers for tasks and leave them to it. The campaign is hard, but if you start a Custom Game and remove the ticks by names, you can play all alone in a map. It will say you've won almost immediately, because there are no enemies, but you can choose to continue playing, so it's like a 'sandbox' mode. I like it because it's quite original as far as god-games go.)
    TORCS (A 3D car racing game. I haven't played it much, as I really have to be in the mood. I hear there are loads of car-packs and add-ons that you can download, as most people say the default stuff is nasty. Again, no idea on this, just being a parrot.)
    Pingus (I'm placing this here because it requires a sense of logic, sort of. Though I used to play lemmings, of which this is a version, when I was very young, I was - and I don't mean to sound conceited - a rather advanced child. This is a game where you control a horde of tiny penguins! You must use limited modifiers to help them reach the exit of each level. There's only the tutorial island installed by default, and so far I haven't downloaded more levels though I read there were some available. See the makers' website for more info.)

Hard --------------
    Enigma (A puzzle game. You control a black marble, and must use logic and good mouse control to traverse the levels. It's quite hard if you're not too familiar with the nuances of mouse control, and I personally imagine it would be near impossible on anything but a good ball-mouse.)
    Chromium (A space-themed shoot game. You fly through the levels shooting the enemy ships. There are six bonuses available, and I'm not sure what they all do. The ones with a skull+crossbone in them are weapon bonuses, and the ones with tux in the middle are shield bonuses, I think. If a ship isn't destroyed and flies off the bottom of the screen, you lose a life. It's a very hard game even when the difficulty is set to 'fish in a barrel'. I've had it a month or so, and only just got to level 3!)
    Pathological (A marbles game. Marbles of different colours roll across the top to fill spinable circley things with holes in them. When a spinnyholey thing has four marbles of the same colour in it, they break and it goes dark. Make all the spinneyholey things dark to win the level. Gets hard fast.)
    Virus Killer (A game where you kill little green snickering beasties (viruses) that enter through holes in MS outlook, explorer, messenger, and the wastebasket. They are trying to get the files inside four folders (that the game names after a few of your own files and folders) which they will carry away or eat on the spot. There are lots of bonuses. The first levels are nice and easy, but it gets very hectic quickly, with groups of twenty or more viruses entering through each 'program'.)
    Last edited by Raavea; July 4th, 2006 at 10:48 PM.
    When you only have two choices, take the third.
    Quote Originally Posted by em es
    You know, I actually feel claustrophobic when I boot into XP.
    Easy ways to install multimedia codecs (wma, dvd playback etc), internet formats (flash, java etc) and more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks guys! Loadsa games, yeah!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

*eyes the length of her post*
    Perhaps I waste a little too much of my time.

That's it though, just gotta fill in the descriptions.
    When you only have two choices, take the third.
    Quote Originally Posted by em es
    You know, I actually feel claustrophobic when I boot into XP.
    Easy ways to install multimedia codecs (wma, dvd playback etc), internet formats (flash, java etc) and more.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by sanderella
    My 9-year old nephew wants a computer to play games. I want to give him a computer with Ubuntu. What games would be suitable? Is there a list of Linux games?

Get him some well configured emulators.

most of the 8 and 16 it era games are still appealing to younger kids and not as violent and gory as most games are now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

I'm suprised no one mentioned Neverball, and neverputt (in same package 'neverball' ).

Neverball may be a bit difficult (too difficult for me, for example), but sheer quality & graphics of the game should keep them trying.

http://www.icculus.org/neverball/#screenshots

Beans

Hey... just FYI... I wouldn't recomend lbreakout for little kids since if you miss the ball it willl say:
    "Dammit!" or
    "Damn!!"

Not very good.

EDIT: woops, I didn't see the note that was already there! Sorry! I need to do some better reading next time... You can delete this if ya want.