Thread: Blackscreen after "Waiting for network configuration."

Beans

Blackscreen after "Waiting for network configuration."

Hello.
    My internet recently went wrong, so I tried to fix it various ways. At a point I decided to restart my computer. When Ubuntu was booting I got thee "Waiting for network configurations" and "Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration."
    It then tries to boot, but when it boots I just get a black screen.

Before trying to fix my internet, it acted like this:
    I would not get any internet at all.
    If I disabled networking and enabled it again, it would be active for about one minute.
    It would then go back to no internet.

To fix it I tried to do these things:
    I tried to set up a static IP.
    I tried to delete the internet configuration, it made a new configuration called "Auto eth0".
    I also tried to follow some guides, from people with the same problem.

I run Ubuntu 12.10.

I hope some of you guys out there can help me.

Beans

Re: Blackscreen after "Waiting for network configuration."

My PC is connected by Ethernet while my wife connects via wifi (ipad). When we were both on-line I saw a gradual deterioration in my on-line activities, seemingly wifi was hogging the bandwidth. Until it got so bad that I started to get the oft complained of delays and the attendant 'waiting for network configuration' message, eventually ended up by not being able to get on-line at all while there was any wifi activity.

Tried all the software fixes I'd seen but none worked for me. Was about to give up Ubuntu altogether when the penny dropped, the fault was literally a bad hardware connection. Installed a new Ethernet cable with instant and dramatic improvement, where the fail-safe script is never invoked, boot up is now faster than ever and the two connections now happily co-exist without any problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaugeGregers View Post
    Hello.
    My internet recently went wrong, so I tried to fix it various ways. At a point I decided to restart my computer. When Ubuntu was booting I got thee "Waiting for network configurations" and "Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration."
    It then tries to boot, but when it boots I just get a black screen.

Before trying to fix my internet, it acted like this:
    I would not get any internet at all.
    If I disabled networking and enabled it again, it would be active for about one minute.
    It would then go back to no internet.

To fix it I tried to do these things:
    I tried to set up a static IP.
    I tried to delete the internet configuration, it made a new configuration called "Auto eth0".

I also tried to follow some guides, from people with the same problem.

I run Ubuntu 12.10.

I hope some of you guys out there can help me.

Going from my own experience you will get the same message if you disconnect the Ehernet cable,which no amount of software tweaking would correct. So my inclination in the future would be to check hardware before driving myself up the wall again looking for a script/software fix.

As a quick check I suggest that you try 'sudo eth0 | grep "Link detected', where you will get a Yes or No answer. Or 'ifconfig eth0|sed -n '/running/I p'. sys/class/Net/eth0' is also usefull.

Come to think about it I can't understand why a broken link isn't checked for and reported to the user before any atttempt is made to configure the network. In fact without it the "waiting for network configuration" message is not all helpful.

Beans

Re my previous it should have been 'sudo ethtool eth0 | grep "Link detected"'.

Put the error down to approaching sinelity