Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 Dialup Problems US Robotics Modem Detection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

12.04 Dialup Problems US Robotics Modem Detection

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to configure my 12.04 system (Thinkpad T530) to run a US Robotics modem USR5637. I am using GnomePPP to connect. When I gksudo gnome-ppp everything works great-the modem is detected and the connection succeeds. But when I launch GnomePPP without su permission, the modem is not detected.

What is going on?

I guess I could create a custom launcher with a gksudo command, but I would rather fix this problem. I tried adduser $user dip and adduser $user dialout and that didn't help. I have been reading the help pages for this issue but can't find anything else to try.

Please help! Thanks!

Greta
    "There is more meaning in the statement that man gives laws to Nature than in the converse that Nature gives laws to man."
    -Karl Pearson (famous statistician)

Beans
    Distro

Re: 12.04 Dialup Problems US Robotics Modem Detection

When I restarted the computer, the problem was solved. Or...so it seems.
    "There is more meaning in the statement that man gives laws to Nature than in the converse that Nature gives laws to man."

Beans
    Distro

Well, not quite solved I guess. This is so bizarre. I open gnomePPP and it will work. But when I disconnect and try to reconnect the modem is not recognized. Then when I go into setup and try to detect the modem, on the first try it fails but on the second try it succeeds.

I am setting this system up for my elderly mother so it needs to work reliably and without confusion.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Please...anyone. Do you have any ideas about how I can solve this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Not sure how much help I will be - but here goes nothing.

1. When you added the user to the "dip" and "dialout" groups what message returned? Did it say something like already a member, or user added?

2. This thread seemed to have a similar issues and the problem was apparently solved.

3. Have you tried using any other resource/software other than gnomePPP?
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans
    Distro

1. When I added the "dip" user I was told that member already existed. When I added the dialout member I was told that the member had been added.

2. Will check the suggested thread.

3. I suppose I could try wvdial for troubleshooting purposes, but I am configuring this machine for my elderly mother and I need Gnome-PPP to work.

I guess I could creater a launcher that runs the gksudo command. But I would rather get to the bottom of the issue in case there is something going on that would create instability.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi

I found the article below which solved my dial up problems - the part about user priviledge settings

First install from synaptic gnome-system-tools , this includes the "users and groups" package (this used to be installed by default, but no longer)

Dial-up Internet Access With A USB Modem
    One easy way to connect to the internet using a dial-up
    account is to buy a USB modem which the manufacturer
    describes as "Linux-compatible".
    ‚- Install Gnome PPP (available in Synaptic Package Manager)
    run "users & groups" using the dash to start it
    ‚- Access Advanced Settings (enter password)
    ‚- Open User Privileges Tab
    Make sure everything (especially ‚-Connect to internet with a
    modem‚ plus ‚Use modems‚) is checked then plug in your
    external (USB) Linux-compatible modem [in this example I'm
    using a USRobotics USR Model 5637.]
    A ‚ Open Gnome PPP, click on Setup, click on Detect (Gnome
    PPP will then detect the modem), after detection close the
    setup box, and enter your connection information such as
    login, password, local telephone number of ISP and so on.
    When connection is established, open your browser and surf!

To end the session and exit, close the browser and click
    Disconnect

Hope it helps

Roger

Beans
    Distro

Okay thanks! I will try these suggestions. I do think it is some sort of permissions thing that I don't understand. I am using the same US Robotics modem, which I bought because it was touted as working with Linux.

The only thing I don't get is this users and groups thing. I am not using Unity and I don't see this under system tools. Where is it located? Can I run it from the command line perhaps?

Beans
    Distro

Wait, sorry. I get it. The users and groups tool used to be part of a normal installation but now one must install it by choice with the gnome system tools package. Got it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I was on dial-up for years with Linux. I never used anything but old USR Sportster modems. If the PC didn't have a serial port I'd use a Sabrent serial-to-USB adapter cable.

If the PC had a serial port, the modem would be detected on tty/S0 or tty/S1, whereas when I used the Sabrent USB cable the device would be detected on tty/ACMO.

I never had any problems like you're describing, where I had to invoke sudo to dial. Do you have another PC you can try? Just to see if the same glitch comes up? I'm wondering if maybe there's a permissions problem with accessing the modem, not the dialer software?

I have no idea if this would help or not, but you might want to try uninstalling everything you've done so far and try going thru my directions in the above link step by step.

I applaud what you're attempting to do, but dial-up on Linux is going to be hard. What will your mom do when Ubuntu wants to download a 150MB update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast