Thread: Nvidia installer conflict solution

Beans

Exclamation Nvidia installer conflict solution

Note: this problem only occurs if you installed the nvidia driver with nvidia's installer. If you used the default Ubuntu method (jockey/apt), this problem should not exist.

Today, I logged in to Cinnamon to discover that I had no window manager or panel, but I could launch Nautilus from the desktop. My .xsession-errors told me that Clutter had crashed due to a fatal error, so I assumed that something happened to my graphics driver (I installed version 304.60 with the nvidia installer because jockey failed repeatedly).

I re-ran the nvidia installer which told me the installation had been altered (by apt, I imagine). The file in question was /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so, a symlink.

To fix this conflict, find out what is available:
    Code:
    find /usr/lib -iname '*opencl*'                                         
    /usr/lib/libnvidia-opencl.so.1
    /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so.1.0.0
    /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so
    /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so.1.0
    /usr/lib/libnvidia-opencl.so.304.60
    /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so.1
    In this case libnvidia-opencl.so.304.60 is my only option. Now to fix the symlink:
    Code:
    mv /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so.orig
    ln -s /usr/lib/libnvidia-opencl.so.304.60 /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so
    Now restart X:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/mdm restart
    And you should be good to go. I made myself a script to save myself the trouble of going through this process every time X is updated, located here.

Note: there was also a similar problem invoving /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so, but I have not seen it in recent versions of Ubuntu. I also made a script for it here.

I recommend that you fix this problem manually as I outlined above. If you choose to use my scripts, you do so at your own risk.
    Last edited by dbbolton; December 4th, 2012 at 01:48 PM.