Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 is horrible

Beans

12.04 is horrible

Ubuntu 12.04
    I have just updated to Ubuntu 12.04 and am hating it - I have had two previous versions which I was very happy with - I am a computer idiot and am now unable to use most of my system because I can't find anything - I used to have a drop down menu with stuff on it - now I just have a dash with recent apps only - where are the rest? I know this is very basic stuff but surely we want as wide an uptake of open source systems as possible? I can't even find the screensaver stuff now! I would like to go back to the last version I had as this one is extremely frustrating - or is there a different one I can try - anything but 12.04!
    I know I am making myself look dumb here but I have been using previous versions for about 3 years and was always able to do everything I needed to -

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 12.04 is horrible

read this website and you'll get back the interface that you are used to using.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/g...g-ever-changed

OR you can go with Xubuntu or Lubuntu which don't use Unity (that's the side bar on the left you don't like)

Just as an FYI, hit the dash and start typing what you're looking for and it should pop up items that match your search terms. ALso, in one of the corners, there's a "show all installed apps" thing you can click. Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Or try Kubuntu. KDE is great these days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The dash is more keyboard oriented than mouse oriented. There's a big search bar across the top, simply start typing and search for what you want to find. Pin all your most used apps to the launcher. I find it just as userfriendly as previous versions, its not hard to use its just different.

And screensavers are no longer included, so you won't find that. Gnome removed screensavers because they are rather pointless with modern lcd moniors, all they really do these days is waste power.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; December 3rd, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Take a look at this it will help you get orientated a bit at least until you can figure out the Desktop Environment you feel more comfortable in: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-help/index.html.en

Myself, I didn't like Unity at first but after giving it a try for a while I came to really like it and wouldn't go back now. Try it for a while you may come to like it.

Quick Tip: press and hold down the Win Key (Super) and it will give you the keyboard shortcuts for the desktop.
    Last edited by arpanaut; December 3rd, 2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Tip
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm trying to give Unity a fair shake. There are some things I don't like, and some things that are different but not necessarily worse.

I added Classic Menu Indicator, and that seems to help a bit.

Beans

Unity is pretty horrible... fortunately, you can remove it from Pangolin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unity is not for everyone, installing gnome-panel really helps getting back to the good old GNOME2 feel. I think if you try it, you will be much happier.
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans

now guys , it all depends on what you are used to .. i recently had my first taste of linux wid ubuntu eleven . ten [ forgive me , no.one key no longer works :/] in my opinion , unity was a much needed change , a change that wud bring many new users to ubuntu in fact , other than some bugs here and there ubuntu works awsome . now i am thinking of removing xp and installin xubuntu there to try it out too . [ heard it wud be much faster . opinions needed ]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Old users seem to be frustrated that Unity is not what they are used to. New users generally like Unity as they judge it on its merits rather than 'This isnt Gnome so I hate it!'. I'm not talking about computer illiterate people either.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast