Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to turn dynamic to static IP

Beans

Exclamation How to turn dynamic to static IP

Hello all,

I have a IP address that is changing all the time and my service provider cannot give me a static IP address. The problem is that i am not able log on to my Ubuntu as the IP address is changing every 24 hours. Is there a way i can know what my IP address is when it changes. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to turn dynamic to static IP

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Under normal circumstances, a change of public ip address (i.e. the one assigned by your provider) should not affect your ability to log in to your ubuntu machine, unless you are trying to do so remotely.

If you are trying to access your machine from another location, there are options. A little more information about what you are trying to do might be useful when we try to narrow down what to suggest. For starters, are you trying to access your machine remotely? Are you running a website or similar service?
    Last edited by lisati; December 3rd, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by igodspeed View Post
    Hello all,

I have a IP address that is changing all the time and my service provider cannot give me a static IP address. The problem is that i am not able log on to my Ubuntu as the IP address is changing every 24 hours. Is there a way i can know what my IP address is when it changes. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks
    Look into a "Dynamic DNS" service. That is, you can register a domain name somewhere and it can automatically track your changing IP address. Then you don't have to worry about the IP anymore - just use the name to get to your Ubuntu server at home.

Some of the formerly free Dynamic DNS services are no longer free or as free as before. Google around.

You can run the service to update the IP to your DDNS name on your server or in your router, if your router supports it. (like DD-WRT)

Beans

Exclamation Re: How to turn dynamic to static IP

Well, i have my files in my home computer and since i travel a lot i would like to log in to my computer to retrieve files. That is where the problem is, since my ip address is changing, there is no way i can log on after 12 hours unless i know the new ipaddress. I would like a free service like dynamic DNS. The services that i would like to use is remote desktop and Ssh connection.

Thanks
    Last edited by igodspeed; December 4th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Similar discussion with script to email IP.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1863666
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I there no software that does this? Is there a way i can link it to a we URL and i just put the url insted of IP address? I think i heard about something like this a while back.

Beans

Mostly SSH connection and remote desktops sometimes. But my ip is changing so I cannot log in after 12 or 20 hours since the ip will reset again and i will have to know the new IP.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Then use the script to have the system email you its new IP. Or better pay your ISP for a fixed IP address, it may cost a little more but then totally avoids the issue.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You can use a Free DNS service like http://freedns.afraid.org/

Just make a free account, choose a domain name and use some of the scripts provided here http://freedns.afraid.org/scripts/freedns.clients.php and run it on your computer to automatically update IP whenever it changes. You can even set it up on your router in case you got a router with some open source firmware. Also, you will need to forward whichever port you need on your router for you to be able to connect.

I use it and it works perfectly.

Beans

i have a linksys router. Would it be possible for me to flash this router with an open source firmware?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast