Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preinstalled Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Preinstalled Ubuntu?

OK, I've only had a quick look around to see if this question has been thrashed to death recently, so sorry if I'm missing something, but...

Are there any companies selling PCs with Ubuntu preinstalled? I know that those who are licenced vendors for MS Windows are anti-competatively forbidden from preinstalling anything else on any PC they sell, or even from leaving it blank (if I understand correctly), but what's to stop an independant vendor from building and selling Ubuntu PCs with it all preinstalled?

I think the "preinstalled" issue is holding things back a lot in the basic home market. Most people couldn't care less what OS they're using and will just use whatever is there. At least if it's Linux-based they're more secure...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Preinstalled Ubuntu?

Last edited by aysiu; July 4th, 2006 at 08:06 PM.

Beans

Arrow Re: Preinstalled Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by wombat20
    OK, I've only had a quick look around to see if this question has been thrashed to death recently, so sorry if I'm missing something, but...

Are there any companies selling PCs with Ubuntu preinstalled? I know that those who are licenced vendors for MS Windows are anti-competatively forbidden from preinstalling anything else on any PC they sell, or even from leaving it blank (if I understand correctly), but what's to stop an independant vendor from building and selling Ubuntu PCs with it all preinstalled?

I think the "preinstalled" issue is holding things back a lot in the basic home market. Most people couldn't care less what OS they're using and will just use whatever is there. At least if it's Linux-based they're more secure...
    While System76 is good:

I noticed you live in the UK, you may be better off with a local company:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/

Each model is available with a variety of options: the starting point is to have the machine pre-configured with Ubuntu 6.06...
    Last edited by RAV TUX; July 4th, 2006 at 08:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Fantastic news that someone is doing this - thanks for the info.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wombat20

Sure there is companies selling Ubie Pre-installed. Like
    http://www.kamnet.ca/
    It is free O/S and they should not charge at all for the software, but may charge to install it. Ubie has sent out the new version and if you live in the states. Go to like Best Buy or ma and pa's computer shop and ask them for a free copy. Linspire has many companies that use Linspire for a O/S to sell. The PC builder gets money for selling the PC with Linspire loaded in. Linspire is a debian based O/S and if you do buy a Linspire pc, you'll know for sure that it will run just about any o/s out there. Like Ubuntu
    Gobby
    If it is not broke, fix it till it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by ronniew View Post
    Another Great Place for Linux computers is

www.fossystems.com

Buy & Sell free open source systems

Why must you spam in every thread with this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadgobby View Post
    Sure there is companies selling Ubie Pre-installed. Like
    http://www.kamnet.ca/
    It is free O/S and they should not charge at all for the software, but may charge to install it. Ubie has sent out the new version and if you live in the states. Go to like Best Buy or ma and pa's computer shop and ask them for a free copy. Linspire has many companies that use Linspire for a O/S to sell. The PC builder gets money for selling the PC with Linspire loaded in. Linspire is a debian based O/S and if you do buy a Linspire pc, you'll know for sure that it will run just about any o/s out there. Like Ubuntu
    Gobby
    They can charge for the software. The GPL allows this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i have sent emails to a few companies asking if it was possible to get Ubuntu pre-installed on their notebooks. I will post replys when i get them.
    || Intel i7 Ivy 3.6ghz (OC) || Nvidia 675m 2gig GDDR5|| 12 gigs DDR3 ||

Gaming in Linux is Easy Mode.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i got one reply back from IBM.

Thank you for contacting Lenovo, the makers of ThinkPad and
    ThinkCentre PC products.

We are in receipt of your e-mail requesting assistance
    with purchasing ThinkPad preloaded with Ubuntu (Linux).

For further assistance, please contact Education K-12/University
    PC Products at 1-800-405-6883. Hours of operation are Monday
    to Friday, 6.00 A.M. to 6.00 P.M. EST. A representative will
    further assist you.

Thank you for visiting our site and contacting Lenovo.
    So calling in your order you can, is what i get from this response.
    || Intel i7 Ivy 3.6ghz (OC) || Nvidia 675m 2gig GDDR5|| 12 gigs DDR3 ||

Gaming in Linux is Easy Mode.

Beans

Sun Microsystems is going to start selling an Ubuntu based machine. I read about it on Jonathan Schwartz's blog.

Also, wasn't HP talking about releasing an Ubuntu laptop? I'm pretty sure there was some wind of that a while back. Maybe they backed out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast