Thread: Color Changing Backlit Keyboard Driver/Software for Bonobo Extreme (bonx6)

Beans

Question Color Changing Backlit Keyboard Driver/Software for Bonobo Extreme (bonx6)

I'm confused and I'm hoping that someone can help straighten me out.

So, I was looking at the keyboard on the Bonobo Extreme.

The Bonobo Extreme appears to be based on the Clevo P370EM. According to every other Clevo reseller I've contacted, there is NO SUPPORT for programatically changing the color of the backlight beneath the keyboard under Linux. This only works with special software under Windows.

According to the email I received from System 76 a few days ago, changing the color of the backlight DOES WORK under Linux. How is this possible?

I sifted through the the system 76 driver package and couldn't find any special drivers or software for this functionality, but yet, I see this animated gif on the System 76 website.

What manner of black magic is this? Can anyone explain this and more importantly, point me towards the software/driver that accomplishes this?

Thanks a million!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Color Changing Backlit Keyboard Driver/Software for Bonobo Extreme (bonx6)

It's pretty simple, actually. The color change key (Fn+ ) is tied into the BIOS, rather than the OS. The other benefit to this is that it will work regardless of what OS you have installed, and even if the OS isn't even running yet (i.e. in the BIOS).

I know I've mentioned this before, but this is an excellent example of why our systems are unique, and aren't really compatibile with any other manufacturer's systems.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Thanks for the reply!

I see, that makes sense. I wish I would have known that this was in the pipeline, I would have thrown my $$$ your way if you had brought this monster to market 5 months ago.

Thanks again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CasualObserver View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

I see, that makes sense. I wish I would have known that this was in the pipeline, I would have thrown my $$$ your way if you had brought this monster to market 5 months ago.

Thanks again!
    I just had the same question. But the way to change colors is with:
    <Function Key> + <Forward Slash on the Keypad>

You can get to the docs that show the correct info by going to their general support page
    https://www.system76.com/support/

Clicking on the link for the Bonobo will take you here, which shows the special keys
    http://knowledge76.com/images/Bonx6-welcome-front.pdf

The System76 tech support folks helped me through a tedious problem I had. The person I spoke with was very intelligent, articulate, and patient.
    I was so happy with the experience that I'm posting this to help other people and encourage folks to use them.

I have a Bonobo which I liked so much that I got a Gazelle (for a relative). I'm very pleased with them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm glad you're pleased with the system!
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

So can it rotate colors automatically?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, there isn't anything that can change the color apart from the Fn+/ key combo.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!