Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why all the Gnome Shell Hate?

Beans

Re: Why all the Gnome Shell Hate?

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Personally, I like gnome-shell but after having read this:

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012...ing-in-threes/

I feel disturbed.

Giving credit where credit is due, I'd point out I found this in another thread about gnome:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...073181&page=11

Post#110 by VTpoet.
    I take Blogs with a grain of salt
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I take Blogs with a grain of salt
    The same could be said about any news source actually.

Beans

and yet the attitudes expressed seem so familiar.....I just can't seem to remember where I saw something similar....its right on the tip of my tongue. Nope ...can't think of it.
    Last edited by click4851; December 12th, 2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: finished thought, spelling
    AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, ASUS K8N , XFX GS7800, Linux Mint 9 , WinXP(dual boot/seperate HD)

Stalker's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Beans

Why all the Gnome Shell Hate?

It's different

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

They moved the buttons.

You aren't allowed to move the buttons. Otherwise all the guys who have to have three terminals open simultaneously get upset.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice. A thread about "Gnome Shell hate" displays so many more hateful words towards those who offer criticism than toward Gnome Shell.

I've tried it, and I find it extremely inefficient and counterproductive to my workflow. I like using the mouse, but I don't like how much more I have to move the mouse and how many more times I have to click the buttons to get anything done. It also lacks an always-visible task selector, which I rely on heavily in my day-to-day activities. This complaint has been made and ignored several times, so it's really more about frustration than hate in my own experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I used it for a while back in it's beta, and thought it was pretty cool. I'd probably have seriously considered making it the prime desktop environment for me, if I hadn't fallen in love with KDE4 so hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I take ubuntu forums posts with a grain of salt.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    Nice. A thread about "Gnome Shell hate" displays so many more hateful words towards those who offer criticism than toward Gnome Shell.

I've tried it, and I find it extremely inefficient and counterproductive to my workflow. I like using the mouse, but I don't like how much more I have to move the mouse and how many more times I have to click the buttons to get anything done. It also lacks an always-visible task selector, which I rely on heavily in my day-to-day activities. This complaint has been made and ignored several times, so it's really more about frustration than hate in my own experience.
    Do you know about tint panel? It's in the repositories. I don't know if that's what you're looking for or not. It's available for both Unity & Gnome-panel and can be made either always present or hide.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Imho, a lot of the replies here don't "get it".

Why is Gnome3 and the Gnome shell a pita for most former Gnome users? Because they took something that wasn't broke, and they, ahem, "fixed it". Pointless. Because they took something that used to be two mouseclicks of effort away, and made it 3, 4, or more mouse-clicks away. Or they made it so you can't mouse-click to it at all.

Why is Unity only a tiny bit better than Gnome3? Because at least the designers seem to remember the end user, whereas the Gnome designers seem to have taken the stance that they know best.

Why do both of them fail? For the same reason that MOVING THE BUTTONS is a fail. It takes something that isn't broken, and breaks it so they can achieve some goal that the devs think is important. But the market doesn't agree. For all of you saying that moving the buttons was minor, you need to sit down and drink a TALL cup of java with lots of caffeine, and wake up. All those people who got bothered deserve your respect. Just because something didn't bother YOU doesn't mean it was right or good or anything. And it doesn't mean the ppl who got bothered were drama queens.

It wasn't just the change that bothered people. It was the change FOR NO PURPOSE. And, it is a change that requires re-learning habits built over a long time, again, for no apparent reason! OF COURSE you're going to get blowback over that, and you should!

For the comments saying the Win users aren't upset over Win8 - you need to read a bit more. They are. They also find it easier to install a couple of quick hacks then they do to switch brands. So far. But, Win8 COULD be an opportunity for linux, as some ppl WILL be energized sufficiently to switch brands. IF we are poised to take advantage of it. Which we currently aren't.

Why all the Gnome shell hate? Because it doesn't work as well for most users. Simple enough to understand, you'd think. Imho, gnome shell and the current version of Unity are dead-ends. I can't give them to grandma and expect her to be productive without my help. She won't do it. Too much like work.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast