Thread: Configuration of one user mixed up

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Configuration of one user mixed up

I've a problem with running an xfce session on a desktop computer. All window decorations are gone, in the settings manager I can't change the settings of the window manager (clicking on window manager gives me an empty screen, with just the return, help and close buttons). In firefox the menu's are unusable. Clicking on the menu bar gives a menu, but as soon as the cursor moves onto the menu itself it disappears most of the time (sometimes it works). In some other programs the menus work fine. Also, for a different user everything is fine and there are no problems running a unity 2D session.

The solution might be to just reset some settings, but I haven't succeeded in that.

PS: Using ubuntu 12.04 32 bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Configuration of one user mixed up

Have you installed and enabled compiz?

That can remove all window decorations very easily, so if this is what you've done, just enable the "Window decoration" plugin using compizconfig-settings-manager, which you will possibly have to install first.

For the firefox problem it may need a new user profile in the ~/.mozilla folder, so try renaming the ~/.mozilla/firefox/x#x#x#x.default folder as a backup ~/.mozilla/firefox/x#x#x#x.backup and restart firefox; that may be all that's needed.

Beans
    Distro

Compiz has been installed, compiz-settings-manager and compiz-plugins haven't. When I rename the firefox profile firefox doesn't start any more (complaning it cannot find a profile), when I rename the entire .mozilla directory firefox starts, creates a new .mozilla directory and still shows the problems I descibed.

Edit: Installing compizconfig-settings-manager + dependencies and enabling decorations had no effect, even after logging out and back in. Furthermore, it would be strange to have to install packages to repair something that still works for another user. The best thing would be resetting the defaults, getting nice settings is easy afterwards.

Edit 2: In some programs, like the evolution email composer or gedit, the text input cursor is invisible. However, in the test field for the keyboard setting it's present.

I'm thinking of copying the settings of my account, which works fine, to the other guys account, or just deleting everything and resetting the defaults, but I'm a bit worried that I'll destroy his email settings or leave some things in an inconsistent state. I'm not sure where all desktop environment related configurations are stored.
    Last edited by Impavidus; December 2nd, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This sounds like a recurrent problem with the window manager (xfwm4).
    See here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-2002853.html

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, that solved the problem.

Unfortunately I was too fast yesterday and in the process of resetting stuff I deleted some email settings. Lesson learned: make backups, even of faulty settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Thanks, that solved the problem.

Unfortunately I was too fast yesterday and in the process of resetting stuff I deleted some email settings. Lesson learned: make backups, even of faulty settings.
    I followed the posted link
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-2002853.html

and there is quite a bit of back and forth - exactly what solved your problem?

Unfortunately I was too stressed yesterday and didn't read your post carefully: I am having the same problem.

Not only are the minimize controls gone, and the menus messed up (arrowing allows access to menu) but even the "minimize all windows" widget at the bottom of the screen does nothing.

So what was it that solved your problem?

Rob
    Rob
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS
    Dell Optiplex 7010MT , Intel Quad Core i5-3550 3.30Ghz
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496 & Presonus Audiobox USB (red!)

Beans
    Distro

Oh, sorry I didn't reply to that one.

The solution was the command
    Code:
    xfwm4 --replace