Thread: Screen Size and Audio Issues

Beans

Screen Size and Audio Issues

Hi, I'm pretty new to Ubuntu, and I'm having quite a few issues on a new build that I just finished. First, is my screen size. I'm using a 32" TV as a monitor, but there's about an inch or two of unused screen space around the edge of the screen. I've checked the Display section in Settings, and I'm using the biggest possible option. Is there any way to make it bigger?

Also my audio doesn't seem to be working. At all. I have speakers plugged in, but every time I try to do anything that involves sound (Pandora, Grooveshark, Rhythmbox, etc.), the program becomes unresponsive. Even in the Sound section in Settings, that happens. I click sound, and it highlights, then freezes the settings app. The volume control in the upper right is nonexistant. The icon is there, with three dashes next to it, like it's turned all the way down, but when I click it, nothing comes up. What can I do about this?

Beans

Re: Screen Size and Audio Issues

You may need to change your television's display settings. See if there is anything in the manual about "overscan" or any menu controls for screen size.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks, that worked, or at least made it better. I was afraid it may be something with my graphics card. Any advice on the sound problem?

Beans

Can't help with that, I'm afraid. I'm using Kubuntu which has a different method for audio than standard Ubuntu. This thread might help.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users