Thread: Scrambled monitor external works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Scrambled monitor external works fine.

I replace my Dell D610 motherboard after the ATI x300 graphics in it died.
    The new board has a problem: the internal monitor is always scrambled. From boot (bios screen) to fully booted. External monitor works fine all the time, every time.
    I tested with both ubuntu and windows xp.
    I'm pretty sure its a hardware fault. I checked all cables, connectors, heatsinks.. They all seem good.
    Anything else I can do/check?

If I can't fix it I'll just keep using it with the external monitor..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Scrambled monitor external works fine.

It does sound like hardware but there is one more test to make sure. Get an iso of Knoppix http://www.knoppix.org/ and burn it to write once only dvd or cd ( it's frequently useful so it's well worth getting the big one. ). Unlike most distro's Knoppix includes most of the main non-free drivers which is why it is such a good hardware tester, it also has many useful tools and superb hardware detection. It's designed to be run live, I think they were actually the first to produce a live distro.
    If Knoppix won't run it is probably hardware, if it does obviously not. The full bells and whistles require a fair bit of ram, it has the compiz desktop cube with gears inside it on a default bootup, so if low on ram look at the large number of boot options. Runs fine on my 1.8GB though.