Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to enlarge Ubuntu LiveCD Disk space (4.1 GB total)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question How to enlarge Ubuntu LiveCD Disk space (4.1 GB total)

When I boot Ubuntu LiveCD it only has 4.1 GB disk space. I need to increase this space. How can I do this?

I have 8 GB RAM and booting 64bit LiveCD. I also have 32 GB flash where this LiveCD exists. But I still have only 4.1 GB disk space.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to enlarge Ubuntu LiveCD Disk space (4.1 GB total)

I am not quite sure what you mean with your query, but I suspect you are asking if you can make the persistence file, assuming you made one when you made the live USB, larger than 4.1GB.

If that is what you want, the answer is no, or not in a simple manner.. This is not the fault of Ubuntu, but simply the size limit for any file on a fat32 flash drive.

I think it may be possible to make a separate partition on the flash drive after making the live USB, and if you make it ntfs or better, ext2, you can use that for storage of files, and those files could be larger than 4.1GB, but I have no experience of this.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My English is not very good so I probably did not get what you wrote.

Will try to explain other way:

I create LiveCD USB on 32 Gb flash.

Then I boot from it and choose TRY UBUNTU so it loads without installation.

Assume I want to download file larger than 4 Gb - I can not download it to my home dir, because free space is just 4.1 Gb

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by khurtsiya View Post
    My English is not very good so I probably did not get what you wrote.

Will try to explain other way:

I create LiveCD USB on 32 Gb flash.

Then I boot from it and choose TRY UBUNTU so it loads without installation.

Assume I want to download file larger than 4 Gb - I can not download it to my home dir, because free space is just 4.1 Gb
    You are correct in your assumption, but as I said, this is because the live USB is on a fat32 flash drive and fat32 limits file size to 4.1GB. I have never tried, but I think you can download such a large file to a hard disk partition or to another partition on the USB flash drive, which is formatted to ntfs or ext2, ext3 or ext4. You would need to mount the partition first, of course.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Are you sure Ubuntu USB Disk Creator creates Ubuntu USB LiveCD on FAT32 and not EXT4?

I believe this is not the case. I mean problem is not that one file is more than 4 GB (in real there are two files of 2 GB) but that there are TOTAL space of 4 GB on this live system.

Beans
    Hidden!

The total space on your live USB system is not the USB itself but the casper.rw file that is made by the USB creator. As casper.rw is a single, encrypted file within the live system, which really is on fat32, it can not be larger than 4.1GB.

Put your live USB into a computer running an OS that can read it and you will see the casper.rw file, and should be able to see what I am talking about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by khurtsiya View Post
    When I boot Ubuntu LiveCD it only has 4.1 GB disk space. I need to increase this space. How can I do this?
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/13835...or-persistence
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

You can install Ubuntu in a flash drive like you would in a hard drive (as oppose to running a live usb with persistence), that way you can use as much space as your flash drive permits (use Ext4 instead of FAT)

First you need a live CD or a live usb for installing (doesn't matter whether you use a CD or a flash drive this is just for installing Ubuntu, to avoid confusion I will call this the live CD even though you may actually use a usb flash drive)

You need a second flash drive to install Ubuntu into (this is the one you are going to use eventually)

Boot from the live CD, choose install Ubuntu, then choose "something else", now point the installer to your usb (usually something like /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, sda is usually your computer's internal harddrive, don't choose that one or you will wipe everything)

Then format the usb drive as ext4, you should also add a swap partition (size is about 1.5 times of ram, but since you can boot it off different computers, you may want to choose one that roughly works for all)

Then in the bottom on the page it asks where to install the boot loader, this is very important, make sure you choose the correct drive (sdb say, if you install it into the internal drive then your computer will not be bootable afterwords if your usb is unplugged)

Then just proceed normally as you would install Ubuntu. Afterwords you would be able to boot into Ubuntu with the flash drive in any computer if the hardware is supported.

The catch for a full installation in a flash drive is that it may run a bit slow and also you can only write and rewrite onto a flash drive for a limited number of times. Otherwise it is a full blown Ubuntu installation.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 2nd, 2012 at 12:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for responses. But as I see I explained smth wrong.

To make things easier lets assume I write LiveCD not to USB stick but to real CD.

All we know that when you start system from this live CD and do things (install software, download files) - after shutting it down all your work is vanished.

This is what I need - nothing can make changes in my LiveCD system.

In terms of USB creator:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In this context I want this system on CD to have more than 4 GB space to download (file size is no matter, say I want download 10 files by 600 MB)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast