Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between Window XP and Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: What is the difference between.....?

Nothing, they both have tons of forums filled up with questions, recurring discussions and inane responses like this one
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I suppose one difference is that windows users have their machines broken because of viruses, malware, etc, and ubuntu users mess up their own machines because they tinker about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AstroLlama View Post
    I suppose one difference is that windows users have their machines broken because of viruses, malware, etc, and ubuntu users mess up their own machines because they tinker about.
    only windows users who don't know better. that being said since this guy felt the need to ask the question which the answer could have been found in millions of google results i'm guessing he's not one of them. The main difference is that the underlying os of Ubuntu is gnu/linux and it won't run windows programs by default. Besides that ubuntu is infinitely more customizable and in general less of a pain in the *** then windows.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by safiajen0055 View Post
    Hello Friends,

What is the main difference between Window XP and Ubuntu Operating System ??
    this is like asking what is the differnece between a moped and a Ferrari, they can both take you to the same place it just depends on what you want.

Both will operate your computer, but they are different operating systems, In general you can't run programs designed for windows on Ubuntu and vise versa. However you can generally find equivalent programs. If you say you have to have MS Word stick with windows, if you can use an equivalent word processor then Ubuntu will work fine.

Operationally they are the same, you get some way to load programs run them and to manage your files. Its is just the specifics on how that is done that are different. Download the Ubuntu live ISO and give it a spin you will quickly see the difference.

Also Ubuntu gives you choices if you want them. If you want the same look and feel of XP try lubuntu. If you have an old machine try either xubuntu or lubuntu. Ubuntu and Gnome are moving quickly away from the desktop paradigm to the document paradigm most often associated with macs, where as xubuntu and lubuntu still give you that more familiar desktop feel

Just my 2cents

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: What is the difference between Window XP and Ubuntu?

Since this thread seems to attract moderation I have changed the title again.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Once I started using Win7 it is bye bye XP, once I started using Ubuntu it is bye bye Windows. XP is yesterday's OS, people still use it because 1) they have old hardware or software 2) they cannot upgrade their Windows or it costs them to 3) They never heard of Ubuntu or 4) human inertia.

Now I cannot even stand looking at XP. Last week I had to get something printed in a internet cafe and they are all xp and it is just soooo ugly and yesterday (and they are probably full of virus judging from all the popups)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 1st, 2012 at 07:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

My experience had been that XP is more time consumming/wasting.

1. IMHO XP requires more day to day maintenance.
    As y'all mentioned XP has more security issues, thus
    more attention/time is required to keep it safe.

2. Also y'all mentioned, the need to defrag.
    And as y'all know, this is time consumming,
    time I don't want to waste.

This is enough for this septuganarian to want
    not to waste valuable time using XP when there
    are better alternatives that can meet my needs.

But I do use XP for one very important program.
    I use it in Virtual Box and have stripped XP down
    for that single function. see BlackViper.
    And no Internet contact required.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    One is good, one is bad. One is easy, one is hard.

No but seriously, try Ubuntu and try Windows and you'll find enough differences to fill a book.
    i just tried to repair a friends malware-infested laptop - but windows 7 just won't let me do anything - it's a crying shame how a good piece of hardware becomes unusable by means of "proprietary" software.

recently i read something like this and liked it a lot:

"after changing from windows to linux it took me quite long to realise that the software is actually on my side"
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans

main differences for a newbie:

- you can change the graphical user interface (desktop environment). it doesnt just change the appearance though, there are different options and default software available. some desktops are lighter, some are heavier.

- the system is generally more customisable than Windows.

- not having to bother heavily with anti-virus and defragging.

- applications are usually installable via an app centre, instead of searching websites.

- "Driver support
    some hardware problems Manufacturers of computer hardware don't always (yet) release drivers for Linux or publicize full specifications.
    So, drivers are sometimes unavailable for the most recent high-end graphics cards — some are reverse-engineered from Windows drivers by volunteers. Some are also released free of charge, but under restrictive licenses.
    Sadly, the same problem occurs with many low-end WiFi cards.
    However, the vast majority of computers with standard hardware work out of the box with main Linux distributions. Common hardware such as USB keys or photo cameras never are a problem."

- "Gaming
    gaming Hard-core computer gamers, you might find that the Linux gaming world is less professional and out-of-the-box than under Windows: the large game developing companies are only slowly getting interested in the free software world, which means that many well-known titles do not work on Linux, or need special restrictive emulators to work.
    There is a very active free software game development community though, and they have produced quite a few high-quality games, both 2D and 3D, that are free software. You can head to the Ubuntu gaming forum to find more information."

a really good resource for newbie info is this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast