Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've never watched Dr Who

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've never watched Dr Who

I've never watched Dr Who, where should I start in order to get the best background, and should I watch the new episodes?
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I've never watched Dr Who

I like some of the older episodes from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, but they might seem a little dated by today's standards. Call me old if you want, but I remember seeing some of them back when they were first broadcast. I've also been known to enjoy some of the more recent offerings.

As a side note, I was watching some of the TV coverage of the Hobbit premier the other day, and happened to catch an interview with Sylvester McCoy.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    I like some of the older episodes from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, but they might seem a little dated by today's standards. Call me old if you want, but I remember seeing some of them back when they were first broadcast. I've also been known to enjoy some of the more recent offerings.

As a side note, I was watching some of the TV coverage of the Hobbit premier the other day, and happened to catch an interview with Sylvester McCoy.
    Words can't explain how excited I am for The Hobbit! On another note, how did you get the Ubuntu number in your sig? I tried and I just couldn't get it to work!
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You don't abbreviate Doctor; it's his name, not his title.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah, I literally just learned that from the first episode I'm watching

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    On another note, how did you get the Ubuntu number in your sig? I tried and I just couldn't get it to work!
    I've had it for a while now, and got it from http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/
    - it looks like they haven't updated their list of versions for a couple of years now. As a rule, only forum staff are allowed images in the sigs here.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    I've had it for a while now, and got it from http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/
    - it looks like they haven't updated their list of versions for a couple of years now. As a rule, only forum staff are allowed images in the sigs here.
    Ah I see, I am registered there and thus have he number below, I didn't know about the image rule.

I feel as though now is a bad time to get hooked on Doctor Who, next week is our finals week here...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My step father got me into Doctor Who, about the age of 8 or 9 (also hitch-hikers guide- thats another story) I started out with Tom Baker (the 4th) and carried on from there. Of the recent years i haven't watched much of Smith.. but the previous Doctor (David Tennant, the 10th) was brilliant.

Doctor Who is great show to get into
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

I started back in the seventies with Tom Baker (#4) but for someone who has never seen it before I would recommend they begin with the 2005 reboot. It had been off the air for 16 years by that point (save for a TV movie in 1996) so reintroductions were in order. You won't be lost as everything will be explained as you go along.

Start with Series 1 (2005) and proceed from there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s#Ninth_Doctor

All three of the latest incarnations of the doctor (Eccleston, Tennant and Smith) are terrific and each brings something different to the role.

Enjoy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
    I started back in the seventies with Tom Baker (#4) but for someone who has never seen it before I would recommend they begin with the 2005 reboot. It had been off the air for 16 years by that point (save for a TV movie in 1996) so reintroductions were in order. You won't be lost as everything will be explained as you go along.

Start with Series 1 (2005) and proceed from there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s#Ninth_Doctor

All three of the latest incarnations of the doctor (Eccleston, Tennant and Smith) are terrific and each brings something different to the role.

Enjoy.

I'm watching Eccleston right now and I love it! I feel like I've missed out on so much!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast