Thread: Black windows in WINE

Beans

Unhappy Black windows in WINE

I reinstalled Wine recently (latest version from winehq.com repo) and now I have a very strange problem:

It works as usual and I can run regular programs and see the menus and buttons, etc.

But games will just show a black window. For example when I run Cave Story in windowed mode, I can hear the sound and see the menu bar, but the part where the actual game should be visible is just black. Same goes for all other games I tried. (maybe this has something to do with DirectDraw/Overlay?)

I'm using a Radeon x1300 with the latest Ati drivers.

If anybody has an idea how I can fix this, I'd be very happy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Black windows in WINE

I get the same problem trying to run System Shock 2, but I have a feeling it's because I'm running XGL.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Indras
    I get the same problem trying to run System Shock 2, but I have a feeling it's because I'm running XGL.
    Just for the protocol: I'm not running XGL (although I wish I did! ).

I live in a Timeshare in the thin wall between this world, and the next. Fitting Furniture is a pain
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I am also having the same problem. Downloaded the latest version using apt-get, and ran winecfg. Installed the program fine. Upon running the program, it will start, open up in a 640x480 window with menu buttons, I have sound, but no video.

I am running on a laptop with GeForce 5200x Go (64 MB Vid. Ram), 512 MB Ram

Running Beryl 0.20.0 (Or the latest, in case I have the version number wrong, I installed using the instructions posted in the forum Sticky)

Any Ideas? I have not tried other games, but if it is a compatibility issue with Beryl, I can see how it would affect it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I am having the same problem.wine-0.9.46

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Responding to a nearly year old thread with the likes of "yea me too" is useless.

Make a new thread describing your problem in detail.
    More than likely you just neet to install the proper video drivers for your hardware.

Thread closed.