Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good C++ editor for beginners

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good C++ editor for beginners

Hi all,

I have to write a C++ program which does a FFT on some data input and I am unsure which editor will be best for me. As I am a physicist, a simple editor would completely satisfy my needs. However I downloaded vim and it was horrible, I didn't even get it to compile some example code...
    I was thinking about eclipse but as far as I know eclipse is an editor for java. Will it also understand C++? And are there some editors with some sort of syntax highlighting or however you call that in C++?

Thanks for any help!

Beans

Re: Good C++ editor for beginners

I've never used gedit for programming, but it is built-in to Ubuntu and is supposed to be friendly since it is GUI-based. It probably understands C++ syntax, but I'm not sure.

As for Eclipse, it can understand C++. Might be overkill, if you aren't really going to set up a whole 'project'. The download for Eclipse is several hundred megabytes.

As for FFT, I think you should look for a library that does that already or some source code. You shouldn't really need to re-write it from scratch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cheatos View Post
    Hi all,
    I have to write a C++ program which does a FFT on some data input and I am unsure which editor will be best for me. As I am a physicist, a simple editor would completely satisfy my needs. However I downloaded vim and it was horrible, I didn't even get it to compile some example code...
    I was thinking about eclipse but as far as I know eclipse is an editor for java. Will it also understand C++? And are there some editors with some sort of syntax highlighting or however you call that in C++?

Thanks for any help!
    vim is an advanced editor for those who do a lot of text editing. Incidentally, it won't compile anything, it's just an editor. Worth learning if you ever have to do a lot of editing.

Eclipse is good for C++ (although probably not for beginners), but I suggest you install the eclipse-cdt package (I understand CDT stands for C Developer Tools). Makes life easier.

What I would actually recommend is Geany, a lightweight IDE/text editor.

Brave physicist. FFTs with C++ isn't a beginner's project. Good luck!

Beans

I'm liking geany at the moment

For the FFT itself you should probably check out FFTW - even if it's not what you want it will give you a starting point - although it's a C library there are C++ headers for it iirc

Beans

I use Vim, myself, but I like to recommend jEdit for beginners and people in general who don't wish to invest time in learning Vim or Emacs. jEdit is vaguely Emacs-like but it has a much friendlier interface (IMHO) along with support for a vast array of languages and all the features we have come to expect from our general-purpose editors (and then some).

If you're looking for an IDE and not just an editor, I'm not the one who can help you.

As for the FFT stuff, I don't envy you

Edit: Oh no, I got sucked into another of these threads...
    Last edited by trent.josephsen; November 30th, 2012 at 02:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

C and C++ are all about linking. Legacy C++ code is readable about where the links came from. With C you have to maintain external documentation. For that reason, I like NetBeans with the added C/C++ plug-in.

You would have to have Java installed for the NetBeans IDE, then add the C++ plug-in. You get syntax coloring, matching braces as niceties for an editor and GUI-dialogs for pre-process and post-process compiling.

See if you can follow along in this linked tutorial on setting up a C++ project.

Good luck in whatever choice you go with.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans

Sublime text 2 can be used for free. Geany is also not a bad choice for C++ IDE.

Beans

Emacs. use Emacs. awesome editor.... Emacs and Vim are considered to be the complete text editors by thousands of people...
    Vanangamudi
    Minniyal Poriyalan
    Puduvai,Bharatham.

Beans

try using Gedit for editing and terminal for executing . That is besy way to learn.
    If you can use vim, that will be added advantage but learning curve can be quite steep.

Beans

I use emacs (check the avatar ), however it is not for "beginners". You could have a look at SciTe instead.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast