Thread: How do you make upload box show thumbnails?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How do you make upload box show thumbnails?

I have recently re-installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS after being back in Windows 7 for a while and I have a problem. I upload pictures to Snapfish in Windows 7 and when I hit the upload button it brings up the file browser with thumbnail view so I can see what the pictures are. In Ubuntu in both Firefox and Chromium it brings up the same upload box that has a tiny thumbnail to the left and a file name to the right which is just an assigned number the camera gives each file. I just checked and Facebook gives the same file viewer screen so it isn't a Snapfish issue.

How do I make it so this upload file viewer file browser allows me to make it into a big thumbnail viewer?
    Ubuntu 15.04 - AMD FX-6300 - Asrock 990FX Extreme3 -
    4GB Corsair (other stick died) - Sapphire Radeon R7 265
    Samsung 250GB SSD - 2TB Western Digital HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do you make upload box show thumbnails?

Anyone?
    Ubuntu 15.04 - AMD FX-6300 - Asrock 990FX Extreme3 -
    4GB Corsair (other stick died) - Sapphire Radeon R7 265
    Samsung 250GB SSD - 2TB Western Digital HD

Beans

Hi,

I have had the same problem but found another forum that you could use Ubuntu's Shotwell Photo Editor to upload photos directly to Facebook. Just select the pictures you want to upload to FB, and select "Publish"...
    After logging in, it just uploads the selected pictures. (fair enough, it doesn't solve the issue of making the thumbnails bigger, but it helps )

I hope this helps,
    Fred

Beans

I have the same issue on 12.10 and its annoying me. I will try shotwell but am not sure if this just works for Facebook or will resolve the issue with uploading to other sites? To be honest its all these little niggles (windows not always the right size, thumbnails and a few other quirks) that would force me back to windows if i didn't need a Linux partition for running GNS3 on (it runs like a 2 legged dog in windows).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Gwenview with the kipi-plugins add-on installed supports uploads to many sites including Facebook, Flickr, and Picasaweb among others. It's a KDE application, though, so when you install it you'll get a bunch of additional libraries unless, like me, you're running Kubuntu.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gwenview kipi-plugins
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users