Thread: Help me installing ubuntu 12.10 offline

Beans

Angry Help me installing ubuntu 12.10 offline

Hi all
    i m a windows user
    i want to remove it and install a fresh ubuntu 12.10 version on it
    so i'v got some questions regarding it

Q1.what is a step-by-step procedure for offline download?

i read it somewhere that i requires some stuff from net.

Q2.what if i download .iso file from official site n install it offline will it require some more OS's stuff(I MEAN THOSE 'UBUNTU'S RESTRICTED EXTRAS' ? If yes then proceed to Q3&Q4)?

Q3. Keryx or apt-offline-gui?which is better

Q4. Guides regarding keryx & apt-offline

thank you in advance
    Last edited by ANiK3T; November 29th, 2012 at 05:07 PM.

Beans

Re: Help me installing ubuntu 12.10 offline

Quote Originally Posted by ANiK3T View Post
    know your system i.e. 32bit or 64bit
    Choose (32bit or 64bit) and Download the .iso
    Check md5 hash using the guideline on following two links
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
    burn the .iso to DVD or USB
    Boot from DVD or USB and follow the instructions. (It is always better to choose "Try Ubuntu" from instructions before actual installing)

Hi all
    Q2.what if i download .iso file from official site n install it offline will it require some other OS's stuff?
    No. you won't need internet connectivity during installation. However after install it is recommended to connect to internet and do an update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pkadeel View Post
    No. you won't need internet connectivity during installation. However after install it is recommended to connect to internet and do an update.
    Yes, when you connect the machine to the internet the first time, it will likely want to do a huge update. If the machine never gets connected to the 'net, it will happily continue to work in the state it was installed in.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

There is no special download for installing Ubuntu offline. Simply download the .iso from the Ubuntu website.

Now either burn it to a DVD or put it on a USB drive. You can then reboot and install it normally

However, if you desire to use Wubi, I would recommend using an image mounting program such as SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive (freeware).

Q2.what if i download .iso file from official site n install it offline will it require some other OS's stuff?
    If you downloaded the .iso from the official site and installed it offline, you will not need to install any other software or operating systems.

Q3. Keryx or apt-offline-gui?which is better
    I would recommend not using Keryx since it is not the one used by most Ubuntu users. I would say that apt-offline is better to use.

Q4. Guides regarding keryx & apt-offline
    Install apt-offline with an internet connection or by downloading the packages from the repository yourself. Here is the manpage to using it: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...offline.8.html
    Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
    Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!

Beans

Angry Re: Help me installing ubuntu 12.10 offline

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin194 View Post
    There is no special download for installing Ubuntu offline. Simply download the .iso from the Ubuntu website.

Now either burn it to a DVD or put it on a USB drive. You can then reboot and install it normally

However, if you desire to use Wubi, I would recommend using an image mounting program such as SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive (freeware).

If you downloaded the .iso from the official site and installed it offline, you will not need to install any other software or operating systems.

I would recommend not using Keryx since it is not the one used by most Ubuntu users. I would say that apt-offline is better to use.

Install apt-offline with an internet connection or by downloading the packages from the repository yourself. Here is the manpage to using it: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...offline.8.html

but buddy what about those 'ubuntu restricted extras'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin194 View Post

Regarding Q2: u saying dat i dont need xtra software but what about RESTRICTED EXTRAS?

Beans

the "restricted extras" is a package like any other: you can either download and install it like dolphin described or connect your machine to the net and let your package manager do it for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's better to install 12.04 LTS and install required software’s offline using the Repository DVD pack. Check this link which should be useful for you. Suggested 12.04 since I was unable to find 12.10 Repository DVD pack in that website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi all
    i m a windows user
    i want to remove it and install a fresh ubuntu 12.10 version on it
    I would strongly recommend against getting rid of Windows entirely, as you may find that you actually do need some program that is only available on Windows. I suggest trying Ubuntu out with wubi for a few months before committing to anything irreversible.