Thread: install 12.04 graphics fail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

install 12.04 graphics fail

Board: BIOSTAR Group N68S3+
    on board video
    NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a [Display adapter]
    LG L1980U [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 6364, March 2005)

trying to install along side Windows XP from USB
    the graphics screen never works - it has come up scrambled, or if I wait patiently it will apparently make several attempts about 3 different drivers - but ends up with the original standard blank screen.

when I installed Ubuntu 11.10, on a different hard drive, I had to "fix" the graphics drivers. but how do I fix my drivers when I cannot read the screen?

would my best answer simply be to procure a video card? (and if so, suggestions solicited) but my first choice would be to simply make my present hardware work.

what I want MOST is to understand what is happening to me in this process, and any enlightenment appreciated.

Beans

Re: install 12.04 graphics fail

You might try "nomodset" in grub line entry )reach grub by pressing shift if not already showing)

or boot to recovery console and drop to prompt and run the downloaded Nvidia.run file with (you can get it here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Code:
    sh Nvidia.....x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.run
    latest is 3.10

You may need to blacklist nouveau too but the .run file will do this for you or should anyways

Cheers
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Re: install 12.04 graphics fail

Beans

Angry Re: install 12.04 graphics fail

Me too ! Clean install of 12.04 ( from CD )has produced a black screen with " cannot display this video mode ". I can go no further . " Shift" key does not help .

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you can hit ctrl-alt-F1 to take you to terminal session 1. login to the textual environment using your username and password. What driver are you currently trying to use?
    Issue the following command
    Code:
    dmesg | grep NVIDIA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by John butler View Post
    Me too ! Clean install of 12.04 ( from CD )has produced a black screen with " cannot display this video mode ". I can go no further . " Shift" key does not help .
    First of all, it would be a good idea to post your hardware specs, since they are most likely not the same as those of the OP.

Since you seem to have the system already installed, you can try to get to a console by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 simultaneously. Then edit /etc/default/grub (with sudo privileges) and add nomodeset. Save the file, execute sudo update-grub, reboot and see if it makes things working.

This was the very short form, more information is available in these threads:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by John butler View Post
    are you tapping the shift key directly after seeing the BIOS screen? This should take you to Grub boot menu where you can add the nomodeset option