Thread: Is this still available?

Beans
    Hidden!

Is this still available?

I wonder. Is Ubuntu Netbook Edition still available, specifically the netbook launcher which is an exemplar launcher for exemplar applications?

Why do I want or need to know?
    Because I liked that interface and it's sad to see it pulled. Some people puke at Unity, and you can't find a working UNE launcher anywhere now. Should I just compile it? On an Oneiric based system, huh? There's no libclutk!
    *** WARNING - this poster is a 13 year old - please take appropriate adult advice before following any of his advice. Thank you ***
    If what I say seems inappropriate, I might have had a meltdown. I have Aspergers syndrome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is this still available?

Unity is the evolution of UNE. In other words, Unity is what UNE became.
    Last edited by jerome1232; November 28th, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

Kubuntu has an optional Netbook Plasma interface
    http://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmanetbook/

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Huh

THAT IS NOT WHAT I MEAN. Darn, I should be monitoring my posts.

I mean the pre-unity netbook launcher and that is it. If I can compile it, I'll run it on Unity and show you the screenshot.

As in, netbook-launcher-efl. I triple boot my PC. LinuxMint (almost 100% commonality with Ubuntu), Debian (about 25% commonality) and Windows (LOSEDows).
    *** WARNING - this poster is a 13 year old - please take appropriate adult advice before following any of his advice. Thank you ***
    If what I say seems inappropriate, I might have had a meltdown. I have Aspergers syndrome.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu Netbook Edition was discontinued with 11.04:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/the-end-of-ubuntu-netbook-edition-the-return-of-ubuntu

So it was available in 10.10 and it should still be available in 10.04 LTS until end of life April 2013.

I suggest that you look for something new for your main desktop environment. If you want to play with it, go get the source code, while the 10.04 repos are still there!

Good luck

Beans
    Hidden!

Now I need help.

There's no libclutk in the Debian repositories (I'm using Debian and Ubuntu 11.10) and same in Ubuntu. and I can't compile n-l-efl for if I do, apt-get tells me that I've held broken packages, because the dependencies I install cause dep. hell.
    Maybe I should compile the Foundation Libs?
    N-L-EFL is still in Launchpad, and I'm thinking of branching it to Mutton DX for Gammon. And to preserve it. Because Gammon is modular. And we ALL rock.

Beans
    Hidden!

Not to worry, old chaps. Elementary's Slingshot should be fairly easy to modify to look a heck of a lot like netbook launcher, and it's maintained by Elementary.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jjpcexpert View Post
    Not to worry, old chaps. Elementary's Slingshot should be fairly easy to modify to look a heck of a lot like netbook launcher, and it's maintained by Elementary.
    That will make it a lot easier for you