Thread: How to put win7 in a VM Inside a chroot/jail, sitting on ubuntu server 12.04

Beans

How to put win7 in a VM Inside a chroot/jail, sitting on ubuntu server 12.04

I have a HP Pavilion DV4 2045dx laptop 64-bit. I have Ubuntu 12.04.1 server LTS (amd64) installed on it. The whole drive is encrypted and home directory. I have a desktop environment installed on it.. ubuntu-desktop. I now want to install a Windows 7 professional x64 into a virtual machine on the ubuntu server. However I have fear of windows and want the win7/VM to live inside a chroot/jail. I have set up VM's before but not chroot, but read the tutorials. What is the best way to tackle this problem? What VM do you recommend in this configuration. Are there any tutorials out there to help me work through this correctly? Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to put win7 in a VM Inside a chroot/jail, sitting on ubuntu server 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    I have a HP Pavilion DV4 2045dx laptop 64-bit. I have Ubuntu 12.04.1 server LTS (amd64) installed on it. The whole drive is encrypted and home directory. I have a desktop environment installed on it.. ubuntu-desktop. I now want to install a Windows 7 professional x64 into a virtual machine on the ubuntu server. However I have fear of windows and want the win7/VM to live inside a chroot/jail. I have set up VM's before but not chroot, but read the tutorials. What is the best way to tackle this problem? What VM do you recommend in this configuration. Are there any tutorials out there to help me work through this correctly? Thank you.
    Don't be silly, VM environments are just that and any VM you run does not need any "jail", it runs in its own virtual environment.

Every single VM environment is suitable for this basic requirement, you read up on them and choose one.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way