Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwight and easy to use distro for relative

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lightwight and easy to use distro for relative

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    But I am taking out Ubuntu based distros out of the equation due to some major issues with Ubuntu right now with both 12.04 and 12.10 so I need something not based on the buntu family.
    What do you use?

If you've moved away from Ubuntu-based, why not use whatever you use?

Beans
    Hidden!

Well I dont have the laptop on hand, all I can say is that its a 7 year old Toshiba Satellite with an old intel celeron CPU and 1 GB of RAM.
    I cannot get the specs off my father as he doesnt know them, I am just looking for base recommendations.
    And most of the issues he is having with Ubuntu is more from how the last two releases have been, both 12.04 and 12.10 have been very unstable for both me and my family with constant crashes even on good hardware like my top line self built computer.
    With constant crashes and various bugs the 12 series of Ubuntu is not nearly as good as what it should be, this is mainly from the shift to unity as the other desktops have suffered under Ubuntu.
    I am not going to ask how to problems solve these issues, I just want suggestions, thats all.
    And no standard Debian will go over my fathers head, but Mint debian might be a good viable alternative for him
    I would suggest Linux Mint Mate 32-bit

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=103

or Knoppix (originally for live sessions, but today you can install it as a debian release). The hardware detection is excellent.

(I might install Lubuntu 12.04 if it were my father, but I understand that you are not happy with this version of Ubuntu.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    What do you use?

If you've moved away from Ubuntu-based, why not use whatever you use?
    Due to his hardware mainly, I am currently using openSUSE 12.2 KDE and I am unsure if KDE will suit his machine.
    Again there is gnome shell, but he tried it, he hates it.
    Thus XFCE based distros are more or less preferred.

Beans

Yeah he needs drivers for the wireless card, thus why debian is not that ideal.
    It's "penny wise and pound foolish" in my opinion to choose which distro to use on a daily basis for the next x years because you are avoiding a 5 minute procedure to install a wireless driver.

Assuming for the sake of argument that Debian will be rock-solid stable while Ubuntu has a bug that requires 1 hour of troubleshooting, you are getting a 12-fold return-on-investment for that 5 minutes you spent following the directions on Debian Wiki.

That's all I'll say about that so I don't come off as a Debian fanboy.

Beans

well the fact that debian can take a long time even for a basic setup is what gets to me, I really do not have the time nor patience to install something like debian

Beans

well the fact that debian can take a long time even for a basic setup is what gets to me, I really do not have the time nor patience to install something like debian
    I recommend Xubuntu LTS as an easier to install, less stable derivative of Debian Xfce.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I recommend Xubuntu LTS as an easier to install, less stable derivative of Debian Xfce.
    That is what he is using, did you even read my first post?

Beans

That is what he is using, did you even read my first post?
    And thus the conversation comes full circle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Due to his hardware mainly, I am currently using openSUSE 12.2 KDE and I am unsure if KDE will suit his machine.
    Again there is gnome shell, but he tried it, he hates it.
    Thus XFCE based distros are more or less preferred.
    How about just installing XFCE on OpenSUSE?
    I have no experience with SUSE, but I presume that should be easy to achieve, and satisf your requirements.

It also means you will be able to easily advise on packages / applications available etc.

Beans

Well it does have a DVD installer with XFCE, but I want more options before I decide.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast