Thread: Ubuntu update broke screen resolution

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ubuntu update broke screen resolution

Okay, this is annoying.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The box it's installed on uses onboard Intel video, and I normally use XFCE4 as my desktop.

I have a 27" AOC monitor that uses 1920x1080 as the standard resolution. It was a replacement for a failed Viewsonic, and I was delighted when I attached it and Ubuntu detected the resolution and used it.

It worked fine until half an hour ago, when Update Manager informed me there were updates and I installed them. One broke screen resolution: Ubuntu now refuses to admit the monitor will do more than 1024x768.

I recall having this issue before on another machine that did 1280x768 native, and a Ubuntu 11 series update reduced it to 1024x768. I never was able to track down what the problem was - poking around in system logs showed that Ubuntu knew the hardware could do the higher resolution, but nothing I did from the desktop would make it do so. The problem got resolved in a subsequent release.

Is there a known fix for this? Upgrading to 12.10 is not currently an option.

Thanks in advance.
    ______
    Dennis

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

[SOLVED] Re: Ubuntu update broke screen resolution

And this may be even more annoying.

Googling on related issues pointed me at some things I could try. When I switched back to the Ubuntu box, the problem had mysteriously solved itself. Suddenly, 1920x1080 was was a resolution selectable from the display properties box, and I could set it and have things back to normal.

No, I have no idea what was going on. No, I have neither the time nor energy to dig around and find out. I have a correctly configured box again, and I'll settle.

Consider this solved, and sorry for the waste of bandwidth.
    ______
    Dennis