Thread: How can you install butt in Xubuntu 12.10?

Beans

How can you install butt in Xubuntu 12.10?

I cannot figure out for the life of me how to install b.u.t.t. (butt.sourceforge.net) in Xubuntu 12.10.

I tried following the older instructions using xterminal on this page:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/b...ast-using-butt

And it appears there is no package for 'portaudio' or 'libfltk-dev' and when I hit the last command it says it installed fine, and then I don't see any place to run it.

I am completely lost here.

Is this still a viable program for connecting to a Shoutcast server? There hasn't been an update in over a year.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: How can you install butt in Xubuntu 12.10?

If you open synaptic and check you will find some versions of libportaudio and libfltk1.1-dev and libfltk1.3-dev, so try to install some of those. The names of these packages might have changed.

This is one reason why I prefer to use synpatic rather than sudo apt-get install blah blah because with the later you have to know the exact names of the packages and sometimes it doesn't work just because of a trivial name change.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    If you open synaptic and check you will find some versions of libportaudio and libfltk1.1-dev and libfltk1.3-dev, so try to install some of those. The names of these packages might have changed.

This is one reason why I prefer to use synpatic rather than sudo apt-get install blah blah because with the later you have to know the exact names of the packages and sometimes it doesn't work just because of a trivial name change.
    I prefer Synaptic also, but it couldn't find b.u.t.t. If anyone knows the repository for it I'd be much obliged!

I'll try that.

Beans

No luck. in xterminal I get "./configure: no such file or directory" after installing libportaudio and libfltk1.1-dev in synaptic.

If anyone knows what old repository if any to find b.u.t.t that would help massively.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dcn Joseph Suaiden View Post
    No luck. in xterminal I get "./configure: no such file or directory" after installing libportaudio and libfltk1.1-dev in synaptic.
    You need to first cd (change directory) into the folder where the configure script is. So if your folder is called butt and it is on the desktop you have to first type
    Code:
    cd Desktop/butt
    Note the capital D

and then ./configure.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; November 27th, 2012 at 09:02 AM.

Beans

You need to first cd (change directory) into the folder where the configure script is. So if your folder is called butt and it is on the desktop you have to first type
    Code:
    cd Desktop/butt
    Note the capital D

and then ./configure.
    Thanks for your patience. I am really not good at installing from source. Does it matter if I put the extracted folder in the Downloads folder? This is what I get:

me:~/Downloads/butt-0.1.12-linux-bin$ ./configure && make
    bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
    There is also an "install.sh" file. Is there a way to run that?

The butt directory (I hate the name of this thing) has the following in it

butt install KNOWN_BUGS player_plugins uninstall.sh
    ChangeLog install.sh LICENSE README
    I am sure I am doing something wrong, but totally clueless as to what.

Beans

Found butt in this PPA.
    Know nothing about it, but the deb for quantal installed and
    the gui opens when running butt in terminal or the alt+f2 run command.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stinkeye; November 27th, 2012 at 11:20 AM.

Beans

That worked.

Thank you both.