Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu on UEFI / secure boot

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Installing Ubuntu on UEFI / secure boot

I've been an Ubuntu user for a few years now having dual booted with windows.

What I'd like to do now is to get a new PC and have it just running Ubuntu.

So.

What is the best way to set up partitions etc to make distro upgrades as simple as possible in the future? I know there's a way to create /home in a different partition and then mount it so no data is lost when a new USB/CD is used to upgrade to the next release but I don't know how to do it.

All new machines seem to ship with Win8 - I'm aware of issues with UEFI and secure boot but is installing Ubuntu alone as simple as disabling secure boot in UEFI and then proceeding as normal with installation USB/CD?

Many thanks

G
    I'm a PC and Linux is a better idea

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Installing Ubuntu on UEFI / secure boot

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheCat View Post
    ... a way to create /home in a different partition and then mount it so no data is lost when a new USB/CD is used to upgrade to the next release ...
    That is pretty easy. During the install, when you get to the part where you can choose "use the whole drive" or "install next to windows" there is an option "something else". Or at least that is what it was called on the 12.04 installer, I think. Anyway, the aim is to get to the manual partitioning option. In there, simply set up the partitions you want and choose the mount point you want. Depending on how big the drive is, maybe 15GB mounted at /. That is where the system goes. A bit bigger than your RAM as a swap partition. You can't choose the mount point when you have designated that partition as swap space. The system can only mount it as swap, so you don't get a choice. The rest of your space mounted at /home. If you have a monster big drive, maybe you could divide it up a bit and make a couple of data partitions. You would then have to invent a mount point for them. The other ones I have mentioned are in a drop down list in the installer. I have, for instance, a partition mounted at /home/basement.

If there is already a windows on there, you should use the windows tools to shrink the windows partitions to make room for your Linux install. I believe it is a good idea to start windows a couple of times after doing that to let it have a chance to run the disk checking tool if it wants to.

All new machines seem to ship with Win8 - I'm aware of issues with UEFI and secure boot but is installing Ubuntu alone as simple as disabling secure boot in UEFI and then proceeding as normal with installation USB/CD?
    I am really not sure about this, but I read just the other day of someone who was worried about exactly that, and then discovered that his new motherboard did not have any problems. I think that if it is not advertised as "Win8 ready", then you don't have a problem, and I think you are right about just disabling the secure boot, but I am really only guessing.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are only going to have Ubuntu on the machine then you do not have to disable secure boot. You have to install 12.10. See this:

http://web.dodds.net/~vorlon/wiki/bl..._Ubuntu_12.10/

Keep in mind that UEFI and secure boot are all very new. You will end up with more knowledge of this than many here. Certainly more knowledge than me.

I installed Ubuntu on the single blank hard disk in a machine I built myself. The install created two primary partitions. Ubuntu was put in the first partition. The second primary partition was an extended partition which contained a logical partition that was the swap partition.

Later, I had to re-install so I used the opportunity to create a separate /home partition. Actually, I broke the OS when I messed up trying to create a separate /home partition. That is why I had to re-install.

I shrunk the first primary partition to 20GB and I gave it the mount point of /. In the unallocated remaining space I created another primary partition which I gave the mount point of /home. It had to be formatted of course.

So, I had Ubuntu in the 20GB partition and all my data and stuff in the 200GB /home partition. Which is the kind of set up you are looking for.

Since then I have shrunk my /home partition to make the extended partition larger so that I could create 10 -15 GB partitions that I could use to test different Ubuntu installations. I have 2 x 12.04, 1 x 12.10 and 1 x 13.04 and I am about to install another 13.04 to test the ISO image.

All except one 12.04 are in logical partitions inside the extended partition.

UEFI and Secure boot are the least of the problems.

The problems come from dual booting with Windows 7 and Windows 8 where Windows has already used up the maximum of 4 primary partitions or has converted the partitions to something called dynamic partitions which the Ubuntu installer cannot use.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 26th, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

... get a new PC and ...
    Have you thought of some new-ish but used gear? As Buntu is far more efficient than Windows on the same hardware you could maybe do with something which is not brand new.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

That's interesting about 12.10 - Do I take it to mean that as it supports secure boot out of the box that it "should" be possible to dual boot / single boot the machine just as one normally would with previous releases?

G

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Have you thought of some new-ish but used gear? As Buntu is far more efficient than Windows on the same hardware you could maybe do with something which is not brand new.
    That's not a bad idea - but it seems that a lot of sellers are putting Win8 on machines assuming it's what the customers want?

Personally I think it looks and feels awful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

... it "should" be possible to dual boot / single boot the machine just as one normally would with previous releases?
    Can't say for sure, and I haven't read that link yet, but I know that Canonical is at least working in that direction. I don't know where it was, but I read something about it just recently.

If you do use UEFI instead of BIOS, then I believe you can use GUID partitions tables, which would remove the need for primary, extended and logical partitions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I assumed that the blogger was one of the developers working on secure boot for UBuntu. He says this:

The 12.10 release is the first version of Ubuntu that supports Secure Boot out of the box.
    He also says this:

This first release gives us preliminary support for booting on Secure Boot, but there's more work to be done to provide a full solution that's sustainable over the long term.
    What you want to do should be viewed as an experiment. This blog might interest you:

http://arapulido.com/2012/11/05/ubun...tion-101-bios/

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Several have posted that the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 12.10 does install without any issue on their system. Others have had issues. Some will not work at all.

Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p only boots Windows or Redhat.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIyOTg

It is important to use the 64 bit version of 12.10 as it has the new grub2 2.00 that has the changes for secure boot. Grub2 2.00 is also supposed to be released for 12.04 with the next point release in Jan.

You also have to boot from the UEFI menu in UEFI mode not BIOS/legacy/AHCI mode.

Grub2's os-prober does not create a correct efi chain load entry to Windows. It still creates a BIOS type entry. But Boot-Repair can fix that or convert an incorrect BIOS type install to efi. Or you can manually add a correct efi chain entry. I think you can only incorrectly install the BIOS type install with secure boot off anyway.

Windows only boots from gpt partitions with UEFI, or if you have Windows booting from UEFI you have to have gpt partitioning.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

I do not think this was secure boot
    Dual-boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 on UEFI hardware
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/11/05...uefi-hardware/
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

My personal semi-noob summary of this discussion thus far is that I'm probably better off buying a PC with Win7 on it to overcome the UEFI problem.

Does that sound reasonable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast