Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 in VM via Xrdp

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 in VM via Xrdp

Gentlemen and Ladies,

I'm trying to find out why my new installation of Ubuntu 12.10 via xrdp does not show any icons, 12.04 still runs well.

I have just installed an new release Ubuntu 12.10 64bit server (no problems). On this I run VirtualBox 4.2.4 with 3 OS's 1) Ubuntu 12.04 32bit, 2) Windows XP and 3) Ubuntu 12.10 32bit.
    Both 12.04 and XP run without any problems however 12.10 is giving nothing but problems. During installation in VBox I get all the icons and everything seems too work fine. After I start it up as vboxheadless I get the background but no icons when I use sesman-Xvnc and console options. Options sesman-any, rdp-any and sesman-X11rdp give errors and hang. Only option vnc-any gave access to full desktop but once. After that nada. The only way out is to kill the rdp session or shutdown the VM.
    I (attempt to) logon via rdp on Windows 7 and Vista.

I realise the info is limited but with the right questions I should be able to supply more.

Thanks
    Ron

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 in VM via Xrdp

Not a Forum Feedback & Help question. Thread moved to Virtualisation.

@ozxpat, I've moved this to the virtualisation forum as this seems most appropriate, but if you would prefer a different technical support forum, send a move request to the staff area by means of the the button in your post. Don't worry that it says "report abuse". You can use it for any occasion where staff attention/action is needed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Not a Forum Feedback & Help question. Thread moved to Virtualisation.

@ozxpat, I've moved this to the virtualisation forum as this seems most appropriate, but if you would prefer a different technical support forum, send a move request to the staff area by means of the the button in your post. Don't worry that it says "report abuse". You can use it for any occasion where staff attention/action is needed.
    Thanks Coffeecat,
    I don't mind where this goes as long as I get some tips as to the direction I should be looking.

As additional info I think it's in the 32 bit version of 12.10 (12.04 works fine) or in combination with the vbox headless (with in installation lens works fine).

I hope someone has some ideas.

thanks
    Ron

Beans

xrdp never really worked with Unity. Before 12.10 it could be configured with Unity 2d, but now Unity 2d has been removed:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dp/+bug/846407

You can still make it work using the gnome fallback desktop interface:

http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=3518

Beans

Thanks fcipriani,
    I had found this fix however it didn't work. I keep getting connection errors. I tried all the connection variations but again nada. I tried restalling it again, same result.
    As soon as I get a chance I'll re-install from scratch and see if that's any better.
    Will report regardless of result.

Ron

Beans

Have succeeded in doing a re-install of 12.10 32 bit desktop, xrdp and Gnome-fallback under the VirtualBox Manager . I can now do a remote logon however still have 2 (potential) problems.
    1) the xterm box is black and I can't type into it. ie cant disconnect.
    2) I get the folowing error message in the xsession-errorlog
    ** (gnome-session:6734): WARNING **: Caouldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket / tmp/dbus-AK6p5l9uC2: Connection refused.
    The latter could be because I killed the rdp box however now I can start it under VNC headless.

Ah well these things are meant to try us... and don't they ever.

Beans

Oops my mistake... forgot to remove the virtual installation disk.

Please close this issue