Thread: Connecting to the internet 12.10

Beans

Question Connecting to the internet 12.10

I recently partitioned Ubuntu 12.10 with Windows 8 on my HP laptop . When I load Ubuntu, everything runs fine but no WiFi networks show up as found so I cannot connect to the internet. I think Ubuntu cannot find my NIC. is this why? If not, what am I doing wrong? Completely new user, any advice helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Connecting to the internet 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by 12roby21 View Post
    I recently partitioned Ubuntu 12.10 with Windows 8 on my HP laptop . When I load Ubuntu, everything runs fine but no WiFi networks show up as found so I cannot connect to the internet. I think Ubuntu cannot find my NIC. is this why? If not, what am I doing wrong? Completely new user, any advice helpful
    Do you have a Ethernet port on your laptop?

If you do, please plug it into the router.
    Click on the Unity Dash (the Ubuntu Logo at the top-left of the screen) and type in "Hardware Drivers". Open the utility that appears.

If the utility is unable to find any drivers, Open a terminal (type in 'terminal'), and copy and paste the following (the password entry in the terminal does not show, but rest assured that it is being entered).

Code:
    ifconfig
    lspci | grep Network
    thanks!
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.