Thread: Wireless rt5390 help

Beans

Wireless rt5390 help

I just recently purchased a m4-1015 hp laptop and am having some issues with trying to get the wireless up and going. It uses the rt5390 ralink.

I've installed 12.04 and I tried using the linux driver I found directly on the ralink site:
    http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...se.php?sn=5001
    (the "RT539x PCIe" selection from http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...ort.php?sn=501)

But part of the instructions didn't seem to make sense. That could be part of the problem:
    ** Build for being controlled by NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant wext functions
    Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.
    => #>cd wpa_supplicant-x.x
    => #>./wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d
    The above is from the README_STA_pci file. It suggests I cd into a directory that doesn't appear to exist anywhere. I've unpacked the file I've downloaded from ralink again and rechecked. The directory and the config file it references above are nowhere that I can find.

After trying to follow the remainder of the setup instructions, I compiled anyway. I did a compile and install:
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    if I run:
    sudo modprobe -v rt5390sta
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-33-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5390sta.ko
    But if I run the command again, I get nothing. I assume it crashed. But there is no output to suggest that. It just prints the above the first time. Prints nothing the second.

other commands:
    ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 84:34:97:6b:76:a3
    inet addr:192.168.1.6 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::8634:97ff:fe6b:76a3/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:561823 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:291221 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:845825968 (845.8 MB) TX bytes:20107785 (20.1 MB)
    Interrupt:42 Base address:0xc000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:1034 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1034 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:110473 (110.4 KB) TX bytes:110473 (110.4 KB)
    lsmod | grep rt5390
    rt5390sta 1451749 0
    lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. Device 539b
    03:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5229 (rev 01)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Wireless rt5390 help

But part of the instructions didn't seem to make sense. That could be part of the problem:
    Quote:
    ** Build for being controlled by NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant wext functions
    Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.
    => #>cd wpa_supplicant-x.x
    => #>./wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d
    The above is from the README_STA_pci file. It suggests I cd into a directory that doesn't appear to exist anywhere. I've unpacked the file I've downloaded from ralink again and rechecked. The directory and the config file it references above are nowhere that I can find.
    When instructions are nonsensical, it does little good to ignore them and plunge on; you are not likely to get a successful result. Stop and ask.

The answer is that you need only open the folder os > linux and open config.mk with a text editor. Then change 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y' if they are not already. Save and close the text editor.

Since you've told the system that Network Manager will do all that messy wpa_supplicant stuff, NOW you may safely ignore the remainder.

Since you made changes in the file, recompile:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/RT5390  <--or wherever you extracted the file
    sudo su
    make clean
    make
    make install
    modprobe -r rt5390sta
    modprobe rt5390sta
    exit
    But if I run the command again, I get nothing. I assume it crashed.
    Nope. If it crashed, it would have told you the first time in undeniable terms. When a command returns nothing, it usually means, 'command executed as ordered and I have no errors or warnings to report.' When you issue the identical command again, silence means, 'already done; there are still no errors or warnings to report.'

After you recompile, detach the ethernet cable, reboot and let us have a new report.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Since this is on a laptop, and I usually upgrade every may. I don't really need long term support. I decided to try ubuntu 12.10. I kinda forgot it was out as I don't think about the os again until may.....

In 12.10 this sort of seems to be working out of the box. By that I mean that it recognizes all my neighbors networks, but can't find mine. I can connect to it by "connecting to a hidden network". Which mines not hidden, but whatever. It connects.

Unfortunately, this does seem to mean I may have to connect manually each time, but this particular problem seems to be solved by upgrading to 12.10 which is fine for me for now. I can look more into it later or start a new thread for this problem.

However, chili555, thank you much for responding to my post so quickly. I apologize. If I thought about trying 12.10 earlier, I wouldn't have posted my question.

Beans

Ok... So, the problem I mentioned in my previous post about it not recognizing my home network but everyone else....

This seems to be a proximity problem to the router. Moving the laptop just a few inches over and moving the router to the other side of the desk to give more distance between them seems to have resolved this problem. I've rebooted a few times now and it automatically connects just fine to my home network. All seems to be working just dandy.

So, I guess we can mark this as solved by upgrading to 12.10. I'd be willing to explore the original problem if we think that would help the community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Glad it's working. I'll take a solved!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.