I have ubuntu 12.10 server in virtualbox 4.2.4. My host OS is lubuntu.

I have installed guest addition but when I ask for sharing folder, virtual box complains that it is not installed.

The VirtualBox Guest Additions do not appear to be available on this virtual machine, and shared folders cannot be used without them. To use shared folders inside the virtual machine, please install the Guest Additions if they are not installed, or re-install them if they are not working correctly, by selecting Install Guest Additions from the Devices menu. If they are installed but the machine is not yet fully started then shared folders will be available once it is.

I went through the installation already which seemed successful.

$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions
[sudo] password for vee:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
virtualbox-guest-additions is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
vee@ubuntu:~$

For installation, I mainly used instructions in following two links :

http://virtualboxes.org/doc/installi...ons-on-ubuntu/

https://sites.google.com/site/iancha...nsinvirtualbox

Reason I am installing from command line is that I have error when I try virtualbox guest additions from the VM menu :

Unable to mount the CD/DVD image /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso on the machine Ubuntu Server. Would you like to force mounting of this medium?
Could not mount the media/drive '/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

My main reason for guest additions was to be able to share clipboard and to share some downloaded packages as wget was not able to fetch apache solr files..

But I am wondering if guest additions itself is an overhead for server in virtualbox which I would have liked to keep lean. If I only do remote management through ssh, does guest addition add much value at all compared to overhead (additional packages installed)...??