Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best way to do "mac" style in Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: best way to do "mac" style in Ubuntu?

I have configured the Cinnamon desktop environment to look like Mac OS X.

First, you have to get the Cinnamon desktop and Cairo Dock. Cairo Dock is already in the Ubuntu Software Centre, so you can get it from there.

To get cinnamon, open a terminal and type in these commands:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install cinnamon
    Then log out and log back into Cinnamon. Open Cinnamon Settings, go to Panel Settings and there will be a option ot make the panel go to the top. There is also a Windows setting manager, where you can move your window controls to the left in the desired order that they should appear. Get the Mac OS X Theme for Ubuntu from Noobslab.com and install it. Activate Cairo Dock and get any themes you want from the Cinnamon Spices website and you will have a Mac OS X lookalike(with a start menu).

I use 12.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    - geary(mail client) is hopeless for now. Massive memory leaks, lacking even the most basic features like search, storing of drafts, spell check etc.
    Have you reported these memory leaks you're seeing? We're not aware of any serious leaks in 0.3.1, though Vala versions prior to 0.20 do have a nasty habit of introducing leaks in certain cases. Bear in mind that if nobody reports a bug, we can't fix it.

Also, Geary has had a rather limited spell check for some time. Until recently WebKitGtk didn't support much in the way of spell checking, but (assuming Yorba is somehow still around next year) we should be able to bring a much better spell checking experience once WebKitGtk2 is more widely available.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by eric-yorba View Post
    Have you reported these memory leaks you're seeing? We're not aware of any serious leaks in 0.3.1,
    Im using 0.3.1 now, but Im not sure what version I had last week. Right now memory usage looks quite good.
    I have not reported those issues, I kicked geary's tires and decided it wasnt for me, at least yet.

Also, Geary has had a rather limited spell check for some time. Until recently WebKitGtk didn't support much in the way of spell checking, but (assuming Yorba is somehow still around next year) we should be able to bring a much better spell checking experience once WebKitGtk2 is more widely available.
    Yeah, well it underlines typo's, but doesnt offer corrections, but Im sure you are aware.

Anyway, I didnt want to diss your work, but I think you will agree that at this stage its hardly ready for daily use - except if you only read mails as they come in. And that goes for (too) many apps in Elementary OS. I fear the devs may have bitten off more than they can chew. If they had followed an approach closer to what Mint did, which was initially pretty much a straight ubuntu fork with very common user apps and just a few UI tweaks, it would probably draw more users, and therefore developers, allowing them to divert further over time. But hey, maybe Ill be proven wrong, I sure hope so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Anyway, I didnt want to diss your work, but I think you will agree that at this stage its hardly ready for daily use - except if you only read mails as they come in.
    Well yeah, it's not a 1.0 by any means! Hopefully we'll be around long enough to deliver a solid 1.0 release, but as we've all seen that's rare in the open source world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by eric-yorba View Post
    Well yeah, it's not a 1.0 by any means! Hopefully we'll be around long enough to deliver a solid 1.0 release, but as we've all seen that's rare in the open source world.
    I'm hoping so too... I've installed Elementary on my Netbook and subsequently put Pantheon on top of Ubuntu on my main computer (which was a bit of a struggle)... Wouldn't want to have to take a step back!

There is definitely room for improvement: my personal issues are that Files struggles with network shares mounted by Gigolo, and has no bookmarking feature, so have to have Nautilus installed as a backup. I love the Gala / Plank / Wingpanel combination for workflows and desktops, and find that no other DE has similar features which work well on my lowly netbook.

Good work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12