Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plex media Server cannot find media

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Plex media Server cannot find media

Most of the methods posted above will work but I have found the easiest way is to change Plex Media Server user to your own user account instead of the plex account.

Type this command to edit the plex script.
    sudo nano /etc/default/plexmediaserver

Replace the "plex" user account with your own account.

PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=plex
    Change to
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=your user name

control+O to save

Run once
    http:// localhost:32400/web/index.html#!/dashboard

Stop:
    sudo service plexmediaserver stop

add user to group:
    sudo addgroup plex youruser
    sudo addgroup youruser plex

start:
    sudo service plexmediaserver start

I have messed around with all the other methods and they have worked e.g. mounting partition in different folders and changing permissions but find this method above far easier.

And NTFS is fine.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by howefield; August 17th, 2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: reset font to default.

Beans

Re: Plex media Server cannot find media

Quote Originally Posted by stevenrobertlane View Post
    Most of the methods posted above will work but I have found the easiest way is to change Plex Media Server user to your own user account instead of the plex account.

Change to

control+O to save

Run once

Stop:

add user to group:

start:

I have messed around with all the other methods and they have worked e.g. mounting partition in different folders and changing permissions but find this method above far easier.

And NTFS is fine.

Hope this helps
    I created an account to thank you for this solution, worked for me! FYI for others I am using an NTFS drive.

Beans

Brilliant - thanks stevenrobertlane!
    I tried all the previous suggestions and your solution finally got it working for me

Beans

stevenrobertlane - Thank you so much. It would be nice if your post was on page one instead of the last page. Stupid me tried all the other fixes in vain first.
    Last edited by kimbirkkjaerlund; November 19th, 2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: This finally solved the problem

Beans

Most of the methods posted above will work but I have found the easiest way is to change Plex Media Server user to your own user account instead of the plex account......

And NTFS is fine.

Hope this helps
    Thank you so much! This was driving me nuts. Have a 1TB a USB drive from old XP system, NTFS formatted with lots of movies, TV and music, and Plex just refused to see any files, or change permissions (well that's Ubuntu, not Plex).

But your solution works perfectly.
    Thank you for your generosity in typing in clear, comprehensive instructions.

Beans

I also created an account just to thank stevenrobertlane for the solution. Thanks!

Beans

Change to

control+O to save

Run once

Stop:

add user to group:

start:

And NTFS is fine.

Hope this helps
    THANK YOU!!!! I was banging my head trying to get this to work, none of the previous suggestions did anything. Now I need to sit down and undo the permissions mods I made to the PLEX account. Genius idea to switch plex to use my account, worked like a charm. Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I know this tread is old but thank you stevenrobertlane!

I have no idea why my music wasn't adding to Plex, but this solved the problem.

Beans

I again joined this thread late. I stream from the Plex Media Server to the TV using a Roku1 box and the free RARflix app, which doesn't get much publicity. However, I could not get music files to be recognised when creating a music library.

I found that the instructions of stevenrobertlane worked well, however all my previous Plex settings were lost. The Plex Media Server was now open on my machine.

Undaunted, I opened the PlexTVweb based app https://app.plex.tv/web/app and linked the two from the web app (The original linking was by now lost). All setings were left on default (the web app allows you to change Agents and order of option usage - typically not well explained on Plex)

I then thought that I would do best by setting my music files to a tree format in file manager (the default one looking like a filing cabinet). I selected Files Preferences/List View/Navigate folders in a tree (box ticked). I left the file manager open.

I found that the music files could then be uploaded, when creating a new music librar, by using the plex music manager (I can't remember its name) rather than the itunes music manager (even though my files were ranked as per i-tunes). The tip here was to go to home/username/music and then highlight all the actual music files in the music folder (left click and draw the cursor down the l.h.s. of the file names - blue highlight).

All my video files uploaded as well as ever and I spent some time re-installing all the interesting sounding channels.

I hope that this is useful to others. I was stumped. Plex is a great system, but not well explained. Even now I suspect that it can stream live content from my laptop screen - Musictube for example - but that will be a different thread.

Beans

Change to

control+O to save

Run once

Stop:

add user to group:

start:

And NTFS is fine.

Hope this helps
    Many thanks stevenrobertlane. Your solution worked a charm. Thank you to everyone else who also contributed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast