https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...dowsPartitions

This wiki page dates back to early 2006, was revised regularly until about about the middle of 2008, but has had only a few edits since and has been neglected (except for one minor edit in January this year) for two years now. My view: it needs a fundamental rewrite - or jettisoning. Just for starters, this would be my shopping list of changes:

• A new section near the beginning describing automounting NTFS/FAT32 partitions from the file manager. Why jump straight into configuring /etc/fstab when file manager mounting will be enough for many people? The "Mounting at Boot" section near the end could be brought up and incorporated with a few pros and cons about the use of the file manager or fstab.
  • A warning about the potential hazards of mounting and writing to the Windows C: partition, the problems associated with hibernation in Windows 7/8, and leaving system and recovery partitions well alone.
  • The misconception about ntfs-3g in Oneiric needs clearing up. (For the record - ntfs-3g does come as standard in Oneiric, but if you unnecessarily install ntfsprogs and don't pay attention to what the package manager is telling you, ntfs-3g will be uninstalled. I believe this is true of Precise as well but this point can be checked.)
  • The section on ntfs-config needs to go, or be bracketed in a health warning. Also - a health warning about other GUI config software such as PySDM.
  • The section on manual configuration of /etc/fstab needs a lot of attention. The suggested fstab line is not ideal and perhaps a short discussion on the pros and cons of some commonly used mount options would be useful.

Well - just for starters. I'm sure there's a lot else that needs attention.

I'm happy to start work on this but I would appreciate help, even if just comments and suggestions, hence this thread. But first:

Does anyone know if there is already a better wiki page that covers this material? I haven't found one.

As always - this is just for discussion about this wiki page. Requests for support should be posted in support forums.